Heater always ON - can't turn off via ProLogic control

Vesper

Mar 15, 2016
Ottawa/ONT
Hello,

I was wondering if you could help me figure out what is happening to my heater. I have a Hayward heater and ProLogic unit that operates all equipment.
Everything seems to be working fine, with the exception, that the heater is always ON. The ProLogic unit is set to Heater OFF, but the heater still turns ON.

Have you ever heard of this situation? Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks!

If the heater is connected to the automation with two wires, try removing one of the wires on the board if heater goes off then it could be the board relay that controls heater may be bad
Thanks for the suggestion!

The heater worked fine for the last few years, so the connections should be ok.
However, I noticed that it was not set on a Standby on the heater - so that’s where I think the problem was. Now it’s off when the filter is running.

But, when I turn on the heater via the control, it never fires :( The pump runs pretty high - 2900 rpm - in the past it used to trigger at 1800+.

Would this be a problem with the heater ? Is there a sensor on the heater for the water flow?

Thanks,
Gosia

I have same problem this year. Heater won't fire automatically when in Bypass mode. It only turns on when I manually set Mode=Pool on the heater, and then it's always on. Still looking for answers. Let me know if you find one. I called Hayward and they refer you to a pool company now - won't let you speak with support technician. My guess pool company will say what they always say " you need to replace....fill in the blank"

I have same problem this year. Heater won't fire automatically when in Bypass mode. It only turns on when I manually set Mode=Pool on the heater, and then it's always on. Still looking for answers. Let me know if you find one. I called Hayward and they refer you to a pool company now - won't let you speak with support technician. My guess pool company will say what they always say " you need to replace....fill in the blank"

I do have an update. We have eneded up calling a Hayward guy to look into it. He spent a good hour debugging what’s wrong. At the end there were multiple things... there was a mouse nest inside and one of the wires was chewed through and had to be replaced (this was a reason why the heater could not be controlled via the pro logic panel). Second, the filter cartridges were dirty - this is even after cleaning them twice with a hose. Turns out that you need to soak them for many hours to remove the grease/dirt to bring them as close as possible to the original condition. Since where we live there is a lot of debris we decided to get a second set of cartridges to have a spare one when the old set is soaking. Once we put the new set of cartridges the pool was like new - everything worked super smoothly. The water pressure was significantly decreased. From 18 psi to 5-8 or so on slow rpm.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.