Heat Pump Recommendation - Aquacal T135 vs SQ145

samriyer

Mar 29, 2021
Boston
I have gotten quotes for the T135 and SQ145, the quotes are not that much different. Looking at the specs of these 2 heat pumps, I see that the T145 is rated higher for BTUs (132k vs 121k) than the SQ145 and the SQ145 is more efficient and quieter than the T135. The cost differential is about $320. Also, I live in the Boston area and I am still not completely sure if a heat pump will help me with extending the season.

22k is a lot of gallons. Going with a HP with 1/3 the BTUs of a gas heater will make you dependent on the weather to cooperate. There were seasons that were close enough to the capabilities of my HP just south of you, and there were seasons that the HP just couldn’t keep up.

If you want extended seasons, the gas heater will guarantee you can/will. If you go the HP route, do so with your eyes wide open and understand it’s limitations.

Reactions: samriyer
At best the 120K BTU heater will raise your 22,000 gallon pool by 0.66 degrees/hour. That is at an ambient temperature of 80F and the HP output goes down as the temperature drops.

You will need to run your pump and HP for extended periods to get a significant heat rise in your pool.

You will also need to use a cover to retain the heat you paid to create. Once you lose the heat on a cool night it will take a while to get back.

There is no substitute for BTUs. Get a NG heater if you can.

Reactions: samriyer
At best the 120K BTU heater will raise your 22,000 gallon pool by 0.66 degrees/hour. That is at an ambient temperature of 80F and the HP output goes down as the temperature drops.

You will need to run your pump and HP for extended periods to get a significant heat rise in your pool.

You will also need to use a cover to retain the heat you paid to create. Once you lose the heat on a cool night it will take a while to get back.

There is no substitute for BTUs. Get a NG heater if you can.
I understand HPs are constrained by the ambient temp and takes much longer to heat than a NG heater. The only reason I am going with an HP is that I have solar panels installed with a lot of excess capacity. I am hoping I can cover most of the HP usage from the excess solar capacity I have.

Based on your response I am thinking there is not much of a difference between the 132k and 121k BTU options. It will probably be a difference of 0.1 degrees/hour and I can get a more energy efficient option as well.

I understand HPs are constrained by the ambient temp and takes much longer to heat than a NG heater. The only reason I am going with an HP is that I have solar panels installed with a lot of excess capacity. I am hoping I can cover most of the HP usage from the excess solar capacity I have.

You will need to run your pump and HP at night where solar PV does not help you unless you have battery storage. Daytime running alone will likely not give you sufficient heat.

Based on your response I am thinking there is not much of a difference between the 132k and 121k BTU options. It will probably be a difference of 0.1 degrees/hour and I can get a more energy efficient option as well.

I agree.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.