Heat Pump for pool/overflow spa but focus only on spa

Aug 6, 2018
Clearwater, FL
I recently moved into a house with an inground pool and overflow spa but the spa had the heater removed several years ago.

A few things to start:
  • I don't have natural gas in my area.
  • I'm in Florida where it's currently 85 outside.
  • My focus is getting the Spa to be an actual Spa, not a baby circular pool like it is now. Heating the pool is nice, but it's just my wife and I with no kids. If we want to go swimming and it's cold we'll deal with it. If we want to relax, we'll go in the spa.
  • I'm unsure of the size of the pool. (Any help here would also be cool)
  • A few pictures -- https://imgur.com/a/mUa776z

I've talked to a few people on prices and ideas and the one guy who really seemed like someone I'd hire to take on this job really suggested a 250k BTU Heat Pump for this situation and quoted me around $3k for the heat pump and full installation which is also right around my budget for this project.

Everything I'm reading about heat pumps is so focused on it not being ideal for a pool and not being as good as gas, so I completely understand this. I can't find any resources for someone in my situation that is ok if the pool hits 75 as long as the spa can hit 100 in a few hours.

I don't have a direct question, just looking for some feedback on my situation.

Depends on the ambient air temp (efficiency) and how many degrees are required to be added to the water.

I know at my previous house with a 400k heater it would still take a few hours to get up to temp in the AZ winter.

Although now that I'm trying to run the numbers in my head sure seems like it shouldn't take two hours to heat up a small hot tub with that size heater so perhaps something was very inefficient. That was way before my tfp days :)

ea9b94f84bce17ec6317949e0278300b.png

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.