Bronze Supporter
Apr 17, 2022
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We’re headed out of town for a week and I figure I’d superchlorinate it before we go (the filter will be running on a timer, and the vacuum too). Any idea what ppm level chlorine I would need to get to to last the whole week? It’s sunny/hot and the CYA is at 50.

You can raise up to SLAM level and can put 2 tabs in the floater.
I didn’t want to put any tabs because I didn’t want to make our CYA go up anymore than it has. We have an in-line chlorine feeder and I’ve stopped using it entirely bc CYA levels got high very quickly. Do you think it will be OK just bringing it up to slam level or pushing it even higher with no tabs?

Superchlorinate alone will not last for a whole week in this Texas heat. You are going to lose FC as a percentage more than a linear rate per day and suspect you will be way too low by 3rd day.

I keep my CYA at 40 and testing this week in prep for a week I will be gone at end of August. So far, 3 tabs have kept me averaging at 4.5 - 4.0 per day over last 3 days. I check morning and evening. I want to see what day I go below 4.0, so I know what day before to ask my neighbor to add 3 more tabs. So far, it looks like I will need 3 more tabs a little over half way through week or more tabs to start with.

If I let my CYA drop a bit in prep as well, I should get back with a little high CYA for my maintenace, but manageable. I'll know more as it had fallen to 30 when I started this "vacation FC use test".

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.