Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
Best deal around here, sugar land, a suburb of Houston, is HD. They have 3 1gal bottles for 9.98. But 4 or more and they’re 8.98 each. So far it has all been strong and 19120 ish on the date. Problem is it’s stored outdoors, in the shade. When should I stop buying it? I just made a run and it’s starting to dip into the 80s, and will be warmer soon. Thinking maybe one or two more runs before it’s too hot. What say you? Also my wife says it looks like breaking bad in our laundry room.

Attachments

• F2C6B8D2-DCDA-411D-A8FD-D6F5E8118045.jpeg
    F2C6B8D2-DCDA-411D-A8FD-D6F5E8118045.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 48
I too buy from HD and always get enough for the discount. I buy right through the summer and get the freshest ones which in the summer months are moved and stocked regularly. I have not had any issues.

Reactions: Texas Splash
The freshest I have found so far is about 30 days old. Seems pretty consistent at this location. I still think 30 days is a long time once temps hit 90s consistently but I guess we will see. First summer not using pucks and pool stores.

Buying your chlorine from HD (or any other) is fine. But, the storage of it, is what determines its strength/longevity. Being stored outside is fine, until the temps reach the 90’s.
I personally don’t buy from HD during the summer, as we hit temps up to 120 here in AZ.

If you do buy it during the summer, I would simply change its strength in pool math from 10% to 8 or even 6% to be safe.

Doesn’t hit 120 in Houston but it can easily stay in the mid to upper 90s during the summer. At that point I might switch to Walmart as they store it indoors. Pinch a penny is an ok deal if you don’t factor in the cost of the container.

Bought some at Lowe's (kemtech). 3 gallons per box. Each gallon was ~$3.80. Register rang the boxes up as $3.80 so each gallon I purchased cost ~$1.28. Deal of the century and I am now set for the summer. Don't feel bad for Lowe's, wifes spring flower/plant fling cost us about $1500 which was spent at the same store.

I've used Home Depot's and the one near me usually has a pallet or two that they keep inside the store. But I generally use the pinch a penny stuff most of the time- it's cheap enough and convenient to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've used Home Depot's and the one near me usually has a pallet or two that they keep inside the store. But I generally use the pinch a penny stuff most of the time- it's cheap enough and convenient to me.
I have been eyeballing pinch a penny but the initial cost of the container kills the price per oz per percent of chlorine. I have a 10 percent off coupon from them for shock and Ive been meaning to call and make sure it applied to the liquid as its in the picture. Also, the ones in Houston close at 6pm so its kind of tough for me to make it over there on weekdays.

I have been eyeballing pinch a penny but the initial cost of the container kills the price per oz per percent of chlorine. I have a 10 percent off coupon from them for shock and Ive been meaning to call and make sure it applied to the liquid as its in the picture. Also, the ones in Houston close at 6pm so its kind of tough for me to make it over there on weekdays.

I bought 2 to begin with and am now up to 3 containers. At 2.5 gallons each (and the containers stack nicely in a small corner of the laundry room!), I just cycle through them and get refills, which makes the price more attractive. But they are also less than 10 minutes away from me, and if they weren't I probably would want to keep more stocked. I'm pretty sure the coupon is valid for liquid- I think I had that coupon, as well.

Where did you get the coupon from? I have yet to step into a Pinch Penny but there is a new store that opened up close by. I have been buying the 4 gallon pack blue whale 10.5% CL from Leslies but they increased the price to $16 for 4 gallons. It used to be $13 which was a great deal.

It was a mailed ad... Go in there and create a profile and I'm sure they will start mailing you flyers. If I have a need for a part and cant/don't want to wait for amazon, Pinch a Penny has always had good prices, as in very close to online. Leslies always wants at least double for anything. I need to figure something out as my HD bleach will run out in a few weeks and I don't trust them anymore since its so hot out.

It was a mailed ad... Go in there and create a profile and I'm sure they will start mailing you flyers. If I have a need for a part and cant/don't want to wait for amazon, Pinch a Penny has always had good prices, as in very close to online. Leslies always wants at least double for anything. I need to figure something out as my HD bleach will run out in a few weeks and I don't trust them anymore since its so hot out.
HD in Katy off 99, stores there HDX chlorine inside. Dates have been pretty good.

Reactions: djdonte
Nice thanks man! I have been going to Sugar Land HD, and the dates are good but its outside. I am in New Territory so I am equally close to the 99/Fry HD. Leave a few boxes for me! I usually buy 4 at a time to get the discount.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.