Hayword Pool heater shutting off

tika911

Mar 7, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Hi,

I have a Hayword HP21404T electric pool heater that is about 3 years old. The heater fan will come on for a few minutes when I first turn in on but when the contactor closes to engage the compressor it shuts off. The whole unit is shut off. The breaker does not trip and their is still 240V at the line side of the contactor. I have tested the contactor load and line sides for shorts to ground with all the wires removed. I have tested the compressor lines for shorts to ground. I have not tested the fan for shorts because the fan comes on and runs normally until the compressor tries to engage then the unit shuts down. Both capacitors test good. I have traced the LP and HP switch wires looking for something that may have grounded them and they look good. I can reset the breaker and the heater will turn on but as soon as the contactor engages either automatically or having me do it manually the unit shuts down. I was thinking it had to be the HP or LP switches but the system has error codes to tell you if there is a problem there. I am not getting any errors codes just a dead unit. Any ideas?

Thanks
G

You need to get someone with the gauges to check refrigerant pressures. A HP is a reverse AC. An AC repairman can check it out the way he checks an AC unit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.