hayward xstream filter lock ring installation

Brisam9801

Sep 18, 2020
Merrick NY
How do I remove and replace a hayward xstream filter lock ring. Locking ring cracked and I can’t remove it from upper body. I am sure I’ll have same issue installing new one. Looked online and called Hayward. No help from either.

Attachments

• F5A215D2-D392-4D6E-B93F-71EC42482FC7.jpeg
    F5A215D2-D392-4D6E-B93F-71EC42482FC7.jpeg
    396.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 8459112D-F6C4-41AE-8614-CE79F623ECF7.jpeg
    8459112D-F6C4-41AE-8614-CE79F623ECF7.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 155DBFC1-A315-4A0E-9977-0B2D4C5D79D6.jpeg
    155DBFC1-A315-4A0E-9977-0B2D4C5D79D6.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 25
Welcome to TFP :)

Seems you are not the only person not able to get the ring off... It sure looks like it comes off from the manual.. What version do you have? 1000 or 1500?

1 of the reviews here also could not get it off and bought the lid with lock ring... It may not come off and that is why they sell the lid with lock..

I hope this helps

Welcome to TFP :)

Seems you are not the only person not able to get the ring off... It sure looks like it comes off from the manual.. What version do you have? 1000 or 1500?

1 of the reviews here also could not get it off and bought the lid with lock ring... It may not come off and that is why they sell the lid with lock..

I hope this helps
I have the 1500. I purchased the replacement ring already from in the swim. Had to use hacksaw to get old one off. Now fighting to get new one on. Even use O ring lube on it. Hopefully someone has the answer. Pools is closed so I don’t have to rush it. Just don’t want to break anything else. Thank you

Can you update? I have the same issue. Can’t find any answers...it’s sold separately so it should come off right? Jeez.

Hi ...

I am not sure it is the correct way, but here goes. The lock ring assembly is most likely pressed on at the factory. Removing it might be more problematic than replacing it.

Removing
  1. Using a flathead screwdriver, begin to pry one side of the lock ring assembly 'out-and-up' towards the top of the body.
  2. It may take at least 2 or 3 screwdrivers to begin lifting the lock ring assembly over the lip it rides under.
  3. After clearing the lip at the starting point, begin working your way around the lock ring assembly until you free it.
  4. Think of this as removing a tire from a rim.
  5. Hint: Begin prying midway between the handles.
  6. Hint: If you are unsuccessful with this ... perhaps cut it off?
Replacing
  1. The lock ring assembly needs to be squeezed back on like a tire on a rim.
  2. Place the new lock ring assembly over the top of the filter body and let it set on the locking rim.
  3. I used fast clamps to complete the following steps ... but a suppose you could use screwdrivers again.
  4. Midway between the handles, push the lock ring assembly as close to the locking rim as possible.
  5. Place one end of the clamp on the top edge of the lock ring assembly.
  6. Place the second end of the clamp on the lip of the filter body.
  7. Begin tightening the clamp slowly. The idea is to 'push (or pull)' down the lock ring assembly over the locking rim.
  8. Be patient ... don't overdo it muscles ... remember I did it.
  9. You should hear a click as the lock ring assembly clears the locking rim at that point.
  10. Repeat the process (4-8) working your way around the lock ring assembly.
This is just the way I did it and it seemed pretty simple ... more to the point perhaps ... is that my pump is now working fine :)

The only analogy I can offer is that it is like trying to remove and replace a tire on a rim.

Good luck :)

Sabrina

Reactions: willow710
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.