Hayward XStream CC200CAN locking ring jammed...again!

Bobby Buttercup

Jun 29, 2019
Canada
Hi!
Just to give some background, three years ago I bought my first Hayward XStream CC200CAN cartridge filter and for the first year it worked great. The second year I used it, I noticed the locking ring tended to jam, but with a little more muscle, it was fairly unnoticeable at first, but was getting harder and harder to unlock and lock. The pool store where I bought it from suggested lubricating the O-Ring and using Jig-A-Loo on the threads of the bottom part....this didn't help much. They told me to bring it into the store. They checked it out and said it must be a defect with the product. Because of the manufacturer's warranty, they gave me a brand spanking new one and it worked fine for my third season. Now, I am prepping for my fourth season, and I am having the same problem now with the replacement. I won't be able to get another replacement and I am seriously wondering if this is just a bad product or if I messed something up while storing it as the problems seem to emerge at the beginning of a new season. I normally store it unscrewed (after having been dried out) in a warm dry part of my basement. I managed to screw the top back on, but now I can't unscrew it. So now, I am wondering if there is some way to salvage this or if I should just go back to a sand filter. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank-you!

Still stuck with that filter? :hammer: I'm not familiar with the XStream model, and the parts illustration online isn't much help. I'm guessing it's related to the lock ring assembly that's keeping it stuck? Much different than my C-1200. Let us know if you get it apart. Maybe posta pic of what it looks like under the top half and how it mates to the lower half.

I managed to unlock it with some tender taps from a rubber mallet. I lubed up the O-ring with pool lube silicone grease and I am able to move it a bit now, but I can't get it to lock all the way. I know that if I force it, I will need to get out the mallet again. I haven't opened my pool yet, and I don't want to have to go through this every time I need to open it up to clean the filter cartridge. Here are the pics you asked for. The center black ring is what you need to turn to attach and seal both pieces. I tried to get some close-up shots of the threads. Let me know if you need anything more. Thanks!index.jpgindex2.jpgindex3.jpgindex4.jpgindex5.jpgindex6.jpg

I have dealt with this issue for 15 years. We've replaced the o-ring, lube, soap the threads of cover and locking ring, rubber mallet. It's a miserable struggle every year since day one. Not to mention the fiberglass is breaking down on the outer of the filter so it's hard to maneuver without gloves and protecting my arms. It just binds up after a turn or half turn. After struggling with it last night I turned the pump on this morning for the first time this season and it's leaking. I may not have heard the "click" when tightening it last night but it just wouldn't turn any further. My husband is off to find a new o-ring and lubricant. If this doesn't help I may need a new filter. No way will I buy the hayward again. Every year I secretly hope it needs replacing but 15 years later it's still hanging in there.

Reactions: Mr. Fixer
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.