Hayward VSP “DC VOLTAGE TOO HIGH”

The drive converts the AC voltage to DC and then it generates a “Digital” AC waveform by turning switches on and off quickly to simulate a 3 phase AC voltage with the correct frequency to make the rotor turn at the correct RPM.

The “DC Voltage High” indicates that the DC bus voltage has risen above 400 VDC and the pump stops.

I think that the DC voltage is based on the peak AC voltage, which is VRMS X √2.

So, 400/√2 = 282.8 volts to trip the “DC Voltage High” error.
There are 2 blocks in the chain - a rectifier and a DC regulator. The latter is a switching circuit implemented with IGBT transistors, which efficiently - with no heat dissipation - supplies a required DC voltage to the inverter. So I'm surprised that the Hayward VSP can't deal with this.

Reactions: JamesW
Well it had another incident at around midnight according to the event log on the pump’s display. My scope showed a few high spikes (450vac) at that time. I would never have thought it would go that high. Must be a transient surge? I’m going to hook an additional meter to it and have them both monitor simultaneously. Just as a sanity check.
The good thing is that it appears to just self reset at the pump and go back to its programmed timing schedule.
I’m also going to call the power company and see what they say.
Do folks who use these sensitive VSP pumps typically have to install surge suppression on the feed to the pool’s power panel? Like an Intermatic PS3000 right at the 2 pole pump breaker.

Last edited:
Allen, so you have that installed as a “type 2” install? Wired directly to the load side of the pump breaker? Or you installed a separate breaker to tie it into?

Last edited:
Allen, so you have that installed as a “type 2” install? Wired directly to the load side of the pump breaker? Or you installed a separate breaker to tie it into?

Separate breaker at the bottom of the CB stack. It is the first breaker after the feed connection.

The FS140 hangs outside below the cabinet where the two green lights are visible and gives a indication that power to the panel is good.

That FS140 seems like a beefy whole house unit. I’d like to maybe install one of those at the main breaker panel inside the house (but there are no available breaker slots) and then an additional PS3000 directly at the pump’s breaker. Just to give added emf protection as close to the pump as I can get it. Does that sound logical?
The pump is a long way from the house’s 200 amp main panel. In fact the pool pad is fed from a 100 amp sub panel in the basement that’s about 50’ from the main panel. The pool panel is another 40 feet from the sub panel.

That FS140 seems like a beefy whole house unit. I’d like to maybe install one of those at the main breaker panel inside the house (but there are no available breaker slots) and then an additional PS3000 directly at the pump’s breaker. Just to give added emf protection as close to the pump as I can get it. Does that sound logical?

I believe in over design for protection. I don't know how big of a zap the pool panel may take. For the small difference in cost I put in the largest capacity protection I can.

In spite of the protection a storm blew out my IntelliCenter main board and nothing else.

Electricity paths are very unpredictable.

The pump is a long way from the house’s 200 amp main panel. In fact the pool pad is fed from a 100 amp sub panel in the basement that’s about 50’ from the main panel. The pool panel is another 40 feet from the sub panel.

Having a surge protector on the house main panel is good for the rest of the house devices.

The surge protector should be close to the devices you are looking to protect. So main house feed and pool panel feed are both appropriate.

Thanks for the feedback.
I can easily install a SPD at the pool panel.
I’d really like to put that FS140 at the main panel as well but I do not have any open slots. My breakers do not appear to be designed for a double tap.

Just an update….
I ordered the Siemens FS140 for the house. Found a 2 pole 20 amp breaker in there going to a heater that’s no longer in use. So I’ll remove those wires and use that breaker for the Siemens unit.
Also ordered the PS3000 to install at the pump breaker. Not sure if either will cure my issue, but the added protection can’t hurt. Still don’t have enough data to be certain that it is caused by surges or just drifting higher than spec. I’ll continue to monitor.
I did call the power company. They came out this evening . He did say that although my incoming was higher than what they typically see (249vac at the time of his measurement), it was still in spec.
They supply 240 +/- 5%. 228-252.
My meter showed a max of 251.5 today.
He was a nice guy and willing to look into it further and discuss the issue with his supervisor. I’ll have to see what they can ultimately do.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.