Hayward VS 950 Omni...bringing a pool back from the green abyss

pmh

Aug 25, 2019
Austin, TX
Hi Everyone,
I had an old 2HP Tristar pump that failed on me while I was out of town. It remained down for about two weeks, and I've been doing minimal manual maintenance in the meantime. I drained off about 2/3 of the pool (because it was probably due anyway), refilled, and just got my new Hayward VS 950 Omni set up. I backwashed, recharged the filter with DE, and am off and running. Questions:
  • I temporarily have the pump set to max rpm's (around 3400), but I'm not seeing the water flow I would expect (water cascades out of an elevated spa). Is this just to be expected until I work most of the algae out of the system by shocking and backwashing?
  • This is probably more pump than I need. I have 2 inch PVC, and a bit of an elevated run to get back to the pool. What should be my max setting on this VSP? How should I calculated that if more info is needed?
Thanks for any and all info!

Until you complete the SLAM Process your DE filter will plug often. Is the pool still in the green stage? You may want to consider setting the MPV on recirculate to maintain your SLAM level FC until the pool turns cloudy blue then go back to filter. Be sure to clean your filter when your pressure rises by 25% over clean pressure.

Most pools need the VS to run at low speeds to skim the pool. How do you chlorinate?

Until you complete the SLAM Process your DE filter will plug often. Is the pool still in the green stage? You may want to consider setting the MPV on recirculate to maintain your SLAM level FC until the pool turns cloudy blue then go back to filter. Be sure to clean your filter when your pressure rises by 25% over clean pressure.

Most pools need the VS to run at low speeds to skim the pool. How do you chlorinate?

Thanks Marty!

My MPV only has 4 settings: Filter, Backwash, Pool or Spa Boost, and Waste (and waste is port is permanently covered and non functional). I've never used the Boost setting. So even when vacuuming, its going through the filter. Another way to do this?

I could SLAM and just use a waterfall and robotic scrubber to recirculate water....would this be the way to go until we get to cloudy blue given the circumstances? Or just run VSP on a low setting?

I have an inline chlorinator, and use liquid chlorine to shock as needed.

I do not know what Boost is.
You will find you are cleaning the filter alot until you get the algae dead and cleaned up. Do what you have to to achieve that. Test and add liquid chlorine as often as possible.

How are you testing your pool water chemistry?
Something to view ----

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.