Hayward Universal ColorLogic Problem

Jan 17, 2008
Amherst, MA
We have a single 12 volt version of this fixture that was installed 3 years ago and is controlled by cycling the power. It has worked fine until recently when it stopped cycling through programs and now just comes on white for about 5 seconds flickers green and shuts off. You get one additional white blink when power is turned off. Tried the mode check sequence in manual but it doesn't respond with anything other than same 5 seconds of white and then flickering off. Does this match the failure mode any others have experienced with this fixture and were any warranty extensions offered by the manufacturer?

Yup. Sounds like it’s a failed unit. My failures have been similar. Sometimes they would stay on, but just with a specifics color working while others do not. Sometimes they turn on and off. I haven’t tried a warranty claim though.

Thanks. So are the replacements - assuming you went in kind - holding up any longer than the original ones? Mine had probably less than 50 hrs run time but it seems from reports that the failure mode is water ingress vs actual usage.

I went with kind, but made a couple of adjustments after a few failures of units within a year each. My own failed it seemed due to heat and not water ingress. My transformer tap was set to 14v which is what Hayward recommends, but I dropped the tap to 13v so that the LED’s components don’t run as hard. I also don’t set the lights to 100% when running unless I am entertaining to keep the heat down. Since then I seem to be having better luck with them.

I went with kind, but made a couple of adjustments after a few failures of units within a year each. My own failed it seemed due to heat and not water ingress. My transformer tap was set to 14v which is what Hayward recommends, but I dropped the tap to 13v so that the LED’s components don’t run as hard. I also don’t set the lights to 100% when running unless I am entertaining to keep the heat down. Since then I seem to be having better luck with them.
My transformer is a straight 120/12 volt without taps. I think you're correct with heat related theory. After being off for a few hours mine now runs about 20 sec before flickering out. Immediate attempts after that will shrink the run time down to 5 sec or less. I don't have the dimming option since it's a single non networked fixture with no controller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.