Hayward Turbocell T-Cell-9 does not appear to be working correctly

jwharan

May 28, 2019
baltimore
I have a Hayward turbocell t-cell-9, less than 1 year old, worked perfect last summer. I would run it at 40% to hold my chlorine levels. This year, it doesnt seem to be holding at 40%, and may not even be producing cholorine. I seem to be losing about 1/2 a PPM per day, and am currently around 1.5, when I try to stay around 4-5. My salt level is at 3400 PPM, both through digital, and chemical readings. I have cleaned the unit, which looked clean anyway inside, and my diagnostic readings are -26.26V and -5.17A. Any suggestions to try would be greatly appreciated. I have increased the unit to 60% to see if it makes any difference. I have a 20,000 gallon pool, and I am running my pump at 9 hours.

FC: 1.5
CC: Showing not present. (added 5 drops after FC test, and did not turn back to pink using taylor technologies DPD test kit)
PH: 7.8
TA: 70
CH: 200
CYA: 60

I also used the Taylor Tech Sodium Chloride Test kit.

I've done an overnight test, no significant loss. SLAM pool twice in last month, and been adding liquid chlorine 1x over the last month to get it back up. Its def a slow loss of chlorine, and SWG seems to be underperforming, if at all.

Last edited:
What is the Taylor Technologies DPD Kit? What model number test kit?

With CYA 60 your FC target should be 4 with a minimum of 3. You should be adding LC to keep it above 3. Until you sort out your SWG problems you should use the non-SWG target and keep your FC at 7-9 so you have more buffer.

With a FC level of 1.5 all the indications point to algae although you say you have SLAMed twice and pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

A SWG either generates chlorine or it does not. It does not underperform.

Running your T-15 cell at 40% for 9 hours in your 20,000 gallon pool generates you 1.3 PPM of clorine a day. Normal FC consumption in the summer is around 3 ppm/day. Up your SWG % and/or pump runtime to get at least 3 ppm from your SWG. That can be 100% for 9 hours or 50% for 18 hours.

With CYA 60 your FC target should be 4 with a minimum of 3. You should be adding LC to keep it above 3. Until you sort out your SWG problems you should use the non-SWG target and keep your FC at 7-9 so you have more buffer.

With a FC level of 1.5 all the indications point to algae although you say you have SLAMed twice and pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Running your T-15 cell at 40% for 9 hours in your 20,000 gallon pool generates you 1.3 PPM of clorine a day. Normal FC consumption in the summer is around 3 ppm/day. Up your SWG % and/or pump runtime to get at least 3 ppm from your SWG. That can be 100% for 9 hours or 50% for 18 hours.

Kit is K-2006. I hear ya on the SWG math, but i’ve never heard of running for that long on the pump or 100%. I do start to develop alagae when the FC gets to 0. It goes away as soons as I get levels back up

i’ve never heard of running for that long on the pump or 100%.

I don't know who you are listening to. You run it at the numbers needed to give you the chlorine output you need. It is math and science giving you the correct amount of chlorine.

Last edited:
I don't know who you are listening to. You run it at the numbers needed to give you the chlorine output you need. It is math and science giving you the croeect amount of chlorine.

I ran a 40% all last year with no issues and have other friends ran the same size pools and set ups also running at 40%. i’ve never burned 3 ppm a day

The OP shows a T-9 cell. Wouldn’t that change (lower) the ppm per day calculation?

I also have a 20k gal pool, but with a T-15 cell. I’m surprised the OP was able to successfully use a T-9 last year at 40% for 9hrs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The OP shows a T-9 cell. Wouldn’t that change (lower) the ppm per day calculation?

I also have a 20k gal pool, but with a T-15 cell. I’m surprised the OP was able to successfully use a T-9 last year at 40% for 9hrs.

Whoopsie... good catch. Thanks.

Running your T-9 cell at 40% for 9 hours in your 20,000 gallon pool generates you 0.9 PPM of chlorine a day. Normal FC consumption in the summer is around 3 ppm/day. Up your SWG % and/or pump runtime to get at least 2 ppm from your SWG. That can be 60% for 12 hours.

Something doesn’t seem right.

The T-9 produces 0.225ppm per hour running at 100%. 9.75 hours at 40% will produce 0.9ppm a day.

Is your daily FC consumption really less than 1ppm per day?

JW-A pool just being a pool is going to use 3-4 ppm of chlorine a day. You are never going to be able to overcome that load. If you want to check your pools daily FC consumption, bring the FC up using liquid chlorine to something like 5ppm and then test it again 24 hrs later while the SWG is off and you'll see for yourself. You could be seeing low FC consumption if you always have a cover on for example. The numbers @ajw22 is quoting are specs for the T-9 cell.

Pool Math says if I run my pump for 9.75 hours, will increase my ppm from 3 to 4 on a T-9 at 40%. I never lost more than 1 ppm a day last year so it held constant

Show me your math...

89FA7BFE-FAD4-40F2-89BD-BAFF0F78F6AE.png

My math matches what you posted? wheres the confusion?

0.9 ppm/day FC is rarely adequate for a pool in the summer.

Everything says your SWG is working properly. Just up the % or pump runtime to better meet your pools FC need.

I would agree that indications are that your FC demand is currently higher than you are expecting and that your SWCG is performing normally.

Based on what you stated in your first post, your current FC consumption appears to be about 1.4ppm per day (still considered lower than average; consider yourself lucky). Setting your SWCG to 70% for 9 hours a day should keep up with this consumption.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.