Hayward SwimPure Extreme T-15 SWG Bad Readings

May 13, 2014
Princeton, NJ
Moved from HERE

Hi all,

First post here! Here is a detailed overview:
  • In Oct of last year (2021) - 7 months ago - I purchased and installed the SwimPure Extreme and T-15 SWG ($1600). I did this because upon removing the cell and trying to clean it, the corrosion would not come off so I figured way not replace the entire system. (Purchased this home in Sept).
  • It has been working great until about 2 weeks ago when my average salt reading dropped to 800 ppm, the Check Salt and Inspect Cell light came on continuously.
  • I immediately turned it off, took the cell off and cleaned it 4/1 water-muriatic acid on its stand per Hayward's suggestion.
  • I reinstalled the cell, followed the reset procedures and then got a reading of 1900 with the Check Salt and Inspect Lights still illuminated.
  • I tested my salinity level with salt test trips and contistenly (3 times in 3 days) got a reading of around 3400 ppm. Most recently as of last night around 3300 ppm.
  • I followed basic troubleshooting steps of recalibrating the panel. Sometimes this would clear the Check Salt and Inspect Lights and show the panel Generating but shortly after that (within an hour), it would default back to its old ways illuminating both lights.
  • At times it also shows an average salt PPM of 0, again very erratic.
  • I've called Hayward several times and also followed their troubleshooting steps to no avail. They've referred me to local service centers, but none of them pick up their phone and if they do, claim they don't take service calls.
  • I've also reinstalled the cell; taken the panel cover off and back on.
  • Another odd behavior is that the default diagnostic reading is now the Output % and not the average salinity
Stats:
  • Panel reading with pump ON:
    • Avg Salinity - 1900
    • Water temp - 82
    • Cell V - 31.6
    • Cell A - 0.00
    • Output - 48P
    • Instant Salinity - 0
    • AL-4
    • r 1.59
    • t-15
  • Panel reading with pump OFF:
    • Avg Salinity - 2700
    • Water temp - 82
    • Cell V - 32.1
    • Cell A - 0.00
    • Output - 48P
    • Instant Salinity - 0
    • AL-4
    • r 1.59
    • t-15
  • Panel reading immediately after resetting (going Off and back to Auto)
    • Avg Salinity - 1900
    • Water temp - 82
    • Cell V - 25.7
    • Cell A - 7.07
    • Output - 48P
    • Instant Salinity -3500
    • AL-4
    • r 1.59
    • t-15

What do you all think?
Hi @williamradford14 , I read your post and experience the same problem. I added salt, it went ways for a day and now it shows again: inspect cell and low salt . I had the salt checked and I have 4100 (I know it’s now on the high side). Question: did you ever get an answer to your problem? It can’t be the flow switch and my cell is about 3 years old with regular cleaning. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP.

I suspect your cell is depleted.

Hi, I read your post and experience the same problem. I added salt, it went ways for a day and now it shows again: inspect cell and low salt . I had the salt checked and I have 4100 (I know it’s now on the high side). Question: did you ever get an answer to your problem? It can’t be the flow switch and my cell is about 3 years old with regular cleaning. Thanks

This is the basic information we need to know in diagnosing a problem:
  • Report all readings when you..
    • Move the switch from auto to off and check all of the readings.
    • Move the switch back to auto and recheck the readings.
    • Move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the readings.
  • What are the first seven characters of the cell and box serial numbers?
  • What is the actual salinity and how are you measuring it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.