Hayward Suuper Pump dead after four seasons

krisiak11

Silver Supporter
Jul 31, 2017
Archbald, PA
Hey all, so this pump let me down after just four seasons in the Northeast. Powered it on Saturday and heard just the hum, no water pump. Tried it twice more and now not even a hum, completely dead. I have my electrician coming over to double check the electric, but assuming it is the motor, I have a couple questions:

1. Can I just buy the current model of the motor portion of the Super Pump 1.0 HP and replace just that? Should that be about $300.00?
2. Has anyone has positive experience removing the motor and having an experienced handler service it for you?
3. Is this pump big enough for a 20,000 - 21,000 gallon pool? If not, would a 1.5 HP swap in the same as a 1.0?
Pump.jpg

My biggest issue is no one around me seems to have time for service calls including my installer. Everyone is too busy I guess. I may have to just bite the bullet and swap out with the help of my electrician.

21,000 Gallon Cardinal In-ground Pool / Liner / Purechlor Saltwater (40,000)
Hayward Pro 110000 BTU Electric Heater
Dolphin Nautilus Plus / TF100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir
Install Video: Backyard Transformation - YouTube

Just because it seems dead after hearing a hum sound doesn't mean the motor is bad. It might just be the capacitor in the back of the motor. A relatively inexpensive part to replace. However, if that doesn't resolve the issue and it is determine the motor is bad, then yes, the motor can be swapped out. Some people do it themselves, but if you have any hesitation about doing that kind of task, having someone do it for you might be better.

The big thing I see is that this appears to be a single speed motor, and those are just complete energy hogs costing you much more money each month. So if your tech visits and attempts to replace just the motor, be sure to ask about a two speed so you can run it on low speed most of the time. If you find this motor or pump is not worth the effort to repair, you might consider a variable speed pump. They are usually quiet and designed for easy programming and efficiency. Some local utilities will provide a rebate as well, so you might look into that too.

^^^^^ What he said :)
A year or two ago, my issue was the start cap. Cheap fix.
But yes…. Variable speed is the way to go now.
I’m replacing my single speed super pump this season with a VS.
My electric rates just jumped 30% here. So all the more reason to do so.

Reactions: krisiak11
^^^^^ What he said :)
A year or two ago, my issue was the start cap. Cheap fix.
But yes…. Variable speed is the way to go now.
I’m replacing my single speed super pump this season with a VS.
My electric rates just jumped 30% here. So all the more reason to do so.
My rates going up as well here, Scranton, PA area! So, not sure what the start cap is... but the issue was the switch cover for the pump power switch. After four years, the switch cover was not fully engaging the switch behind it. Crazy... the motor works but definitely sounds louder than it has. I will definitely look into Variable Speed when I am ready to replace this pump, thank you for the advice and thank you Texas Splash as well.

Do people typically service their motors? Wondering if after four years I should take it to have service done on it, maybe after the season is over. There is a local guy that will do that for $150.00 or less depending on what parts need to be replaced.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Do people typically service their motors?
Nothing to service on a regular basis, only repair if the bearings go bad. Sometimes that's not worth the effort (cost). Just keeping the motor dry and area clean of debris for good air circulation is a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.