Minnesota
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
I’ve got a 1hp single speed Hayward Super Pump (SP1607Z1M) which overheated and shut off. After cooling down I was able to restart it but it felt like it was heating up again so I turned it back off.
I’ve been trying to figure out what is causing it to overheat so I can decide if the motor needs to be replaced or if it’s an easy repair but I can’t find anything obvious.

I just replaced my cartridge filters but the pressure is now lower than it was with my old ones. My SWG just flipped on its maintenance needed light but I don’t think that should be limiting flow, and if it was wouldn’t that then increase filter pressure?

Since it’s starting and running I don’t think it’d be an issue with the start capacitor.

I’m able to easily turn the shaft by hand so it doesn’t seem like it’s an issue with bearings. There is maybe a little noise from a bearing when I’m turning it by hand but nothing I’d noticed when the pump was running.

I checked the windings and resistance is consistent for the upper and lower main windings and the upper and lower main windings + capacitor windings. No shorts between windings and motor housing.

It does look like there is a leak with the pump seals as the area by the motor shaft had a build up of what appeared to be salt. However I haven’t noticed water on the pad so it must be minor.

I’m considering getting a variable speed motor to replace it but I don’t want it to burn out right away too if it’s an issue with the system. And if it’s an easy fix to keep this one running I’d be inclined to do that. However, I run the pump 24x7 so switching to a variable speed could be a good cost savings in the long run.

Any other ideas as to what might be causing this issue? Or am I to the point where I just need to try a new motor? Thanks for any guidance.

82ECC8BD-1157-4A26-A73A-7EB4F40335A7.jpeg08B22E5E-A634-42CD-A30F-2CF16E697120.jpeg

Lower pressure with a new filter, especially if it is larger than what you had, is natural/normal.

Given the condition and probable age of that motor, it is likely due for replacement. Right now, a Nidec Neptune is the easiest variable-speed motor to use. The control panel gives complete control over schedules and speeds.

Your existing pump is a 1.1THP pump. The NPTT125 will bolt right to the rest of the pump and give you variable-speed performance. A Hayward or generic Super Pump GO kit will give the seals, lid and body gaskets needed to finish the job.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Any thoughts on the 1.25hp Nidec you mentioned vs this 1.5hp Pureline? It’s available on Amazon for $440 so it’s just a bit more than the $400 I found the Nidec available for. Will the Pureline potentially last longer since it’d be running at an even lower percent of it’s maximum hp?

I’m not familiar with either brand and if one is more reputable than the other.

If I upgrade the motor, would it be worth upgrading the impeller to increase maximum flow? I have 1 1/2 plumbing which I think would be the constraint at 43 gpm. I’d be running at a low speed most of the time so I’d assume a higher flow impeller would allow me to maintain higher rate with the lower speed. Although I only need about 20 gpm to cycle my 14,000 gallon pool twice a day I fell like it’d be nice to be able to move more water through the filters if needed.

Any thoughts on the 1.25hp Nidec you mentioned vs this 1.5hp Pureline? It’s available on Amazon for $440 so it’s just a bit more than the $400 I found the Nidec available for. Will the Pureline potentially last longer since it’d be running at an even lower percent of it’s maximum hp?

I’m not familiar with either brand and if one is more reputable than the other.

If I upgrade the motor, would it be worth upgrading the impeller to increase maximum flow? I have 1 1/2 plumbing which I think would be the constraint at 43 gpm. I’d be running at a low speed most of the time so I’d assume a higher flow impeller would allow me to maintain higher rate with the lower speed. Although I only need about 20 gpm to cycle my 14,000 gallon pool twice a day I fell like it’d be nice to be able to move more water through the filters if needed.
Don't know anything about that motor. I only deal with equipment I can get through my wholesalers, as I have to be able to warranty my work. For the price, it seems a good deal. You could then get a full 1hp impeller for your pump and do what you are talking about, the total horsepower would work. Right now your impeller is actually a 3/4hp one, based on that motor.

If I wasn't already in the business, I'd give it a try for my own equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.