Vancouver
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi, I have a Hayward Star-Clear C500 filter used for a waterfall/water feature in our underground vinyl SW pool I replaced the CX250F filter head gasket in July 2019, using silicone Magic Lube.

I just took the unit apart for winterizing/routine cleaning and found a warped gasket with whitish film around it (picture included).

I’ve been on top of keeping balanced water (PH drives high in our SWP pool but I’m on top of it regularly). I keep the pump baskets and filter cartridges clean.

Any idea what may have cause this?

PH- 7.5
FC- 4
CC- 0
CYA- 60
TA-80
CH-230

Attachments

• 1C8F4745-3BBA-421F-BCDE-6EF1F19086F6.jpeg
    1C8F4745-3BBA-421F-BCDE-6EF1F19086F6.jpeg
    724 KB · Views: 10
Any idea what may have cause this?
Could've just been a bad gasket. Hard to tell. Unless you suspect it didn't settle properly into the filter when it was reassembled and became pinched, it just looks like it wrinkled-up. I've seen some similar feedback/reviews on Amazon.

Here was one feedback I found:
only gasket that fits and after a few weeks its curling & leaking returned the 1st one got replacement & here we go again. The old gaskets were great lasted for yrs. Hayward products have really gotten bad.

The gasket looks like it wasn't seated properly. That happens sometimes if not lubed evenly then part of it moves into the grove and the rest gets pinched. If it wasn't leaking you were good just get a new one for next season.

It probably wasn't seated properly. That makes sense. The unit is high up on a ledge that is almost impossible to access and is super awkward to try to get at with a step ladder/chair. I'll find a way to do better next season (not just a drop in and finger cross... although this method worked for many years, guess I just got lucky!) :)

Thanks for the insight!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.