Manitoba, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Hayward Salt & Swim 3C
Picked up a Hayward Power Flo II 1.5HP VL2285 (Power-Flo II | Hayward Canada) on an end of season deal.

Here is the PDF manual: https://www.hayward-pool.ca/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/power-flo-ii-isvl1285.pdf
(parts breakdown page 11 and 12)

The connection to the pump uses SP8100 series connectors. Based on what is molded on the parts and what I found out online,
SP8100UNN - nut
SP8100UNO - oring
SP8100UNB - barb adapter (Accepts both 1 1/4" hose and 1 1/2" hose.)
SP8100UN? - slip adapter (accepts 1 1/2" PVC pipe inside. Outside is 2 1/8" which does not appear to match up to any dimensions for 2" PVC pipes or couplers.)

These components are available in various kits:
SP8100UNPAK - 2 nuts, 2 orings, 2 barb adapters, 2 slip adapters (This is what came with the pump.)
SP8100UNBPAK - 1 nut, 1 oring, 1 barb adapter
SP8100UNSPAK - 1 nut, 1 oring, 1 slip adapter

Sometimes these parts are referenced with SPX8100 or SP8100. I'm not sure what the difference is there??

I was going to do 2" PVC on the suction side. Why? Why not! Redoing the plumbing in the spring anyway to add in this pump and a 21" Hayward sand filter, so might as well do 2" on the suction side. I could use the slip adapter, a short piece of 1 1/2" pipe, bushing up to 2" and go with it. BUT, why have that reduction to 1 1/2" and introduce extra friction (likely minimal, I know) if I don't have to. So I went looking for an adapter to use.

In my mind, I am picturing a female coarse thread which mates to the pump and a male external thread which takes a larger union, like the SP1500 series (which just happens to fit my Hayward skimmer and accepts a 2" PVC coupler!) I thought I had found the solution with (https://thehottubsuperstore.com/product/hayward-pump-union-adapter/). When it arrived, the fine Hayward threads were a perfect match to the SP1500 series Hayward union. But the internal threads were still too fine to mate with this pump, although the diamater was almost perfect.

So now I am back looking and searching....

Anybody know if there is an adapter out there that would work?

If I can't find an adapter, my next idea is to glue a 2" long piece of 2" PVC in a 2" PVC coupler. Throw it in my lathe and bore that piece of pipe up to 2 1/8" so that I can glue the SP8100 slip adapter inside it!

Andrew

if the SP8100UNPAK - 2 nuts, 2 orings, 2 barb adapters, 2 slip adapters (This is what came with the pump.) why cant you use this, it is a 2 inch union and should work fine..

The slip adapters are 1 7/8" ID, which will take a 1.5" PVC pipe.

The slip adapters are 2 1/8" OD. My understanding was that 2" pipe has an ID of 2 3/64" and OD of 2 3/8" so the slip adapter won't match up to 2" pipe or a 2" coupler.

Is the chart I found for PVC pipe sizing incorrect?

Andrew

Wait, I just reread.... Do you mean to use the female side of a 2" PVC slip union and attach directly to the pump? To be honest, I never looked at that.... might have to go get a union from the hardware store and see....

Andrew

Picked up a 1 1/2" slip-slip union and a 2" slip-slip union. The pump thread matches neither one of these union nuts.

I found this page (Pump Union Assemblies – Waterway Plastics) showing quite a few pump unions. Anyone know what thread is on the nut for the pump union is?

In looking around waterway's website, I found that the same nut (415-4000) is used on the 1 1/2" slip to slip union (400-4000) as well as the 1 1/2" slip pump union (400-4060). So a pump union is just half of the normal union? Does waterway use an industry standard union thread? Will the male side of waterway's union mate to the female side of another manufacturer? If they are all the same, then it's no wonder that the unions that I picked up wouldn't match the pump.

So, I'm back to square one trying to ID this thread and an adapter for it...

I went to inyopools.com and saw that the 1 1/2" buttress thread on the union should have a thread OD of 2 7/16". This pump is between 2 1/2" - 2 9/16". Thread pitch on the pump is fairly coarse - about 0.200"-0.210" (approx 13/64"). It is a buttress thread, not a V-thread.

Andrew

Reactions: Wndy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.