Jan 20, 2018
Williamsburg, VA
Hello TFP!

My pool is a vinyl, 16x32 which is 18 years old.

I’ve dropped my pool water below the light (single light at deep end) with the intention of replacing the frame gasket and notice both in front of the liner and behind the liner gaskets. The exposed, in front of the liner gasket was in bad shape, literally came apart as I peeled it away. The behind the liner gasket although better, did not come off cleanly. The gaskets were last replaced alongside a new liner 3 years ago. I was surprised to see how badly the front gasket decayed however there is/was a fair amount of red and green algae behind the light frame. The new gaskets I received are apparently Hayward parts (ordered from poolweb.com) however I don’t believe this is true as they do not line up with the light frame ring holes properly. I also noticed the gaskets are neither rubber nor vinyl but rather almost a paper-like material (which is what seemed to be there orginally. This leaves me with the following questions:

1. What is the material these gaskets are expected to be made from? Is there an alternative to the paper-like (black/grayish) gaskets?
2. The behind the liner gasket is very difficult to get off cleanly from the niche/housing. I’m concerned about getting a solid/clean surface, but at the same time I’m worried about stretching the liner too much as I finagle trying to hang below the deck line and pulling on the liner to expose and clean. Any thoughts on this?
3. The water line is about 1/2” below the bottom screw hole and I’m watching carefully that it does to rise (from rain days) such that it pours in behind the liner. The water line is only 2-3“ from the slope to the bottom. Am I risking the liner shape without the water pressure while I sort this out?

thank you!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.