Hayward skimmer ultra xtr frame above the seam question

outpost

Jun 1, 2020
Long Island
For those of you that have installed hayward skimmers "above the seam" (the opening itself right at the bottom of the seam with the frame essentially a little bit above) - I have a question for you. This position puts the top frame screws in a position to be screwed directly through the stiffer reinforcing "band" that seems to be part of the seam all the way around the pool. Did you screw through this reinforcing band at the seam?

Also, what is the correct way to use the little black plastic plugs that came with the pool if I want to eliminate both the existing outlets .. do i put the round part in the rubber hose conenctor thing from the inside of the pool and the water pressure keeps it plugged? Do i unscrew the strainer cap, put it loosely in there flat side towards the wall and then screw the strainer cap back on then shove the strainer through the pool wall and just clamp it in place with no hose on the other side? I'm having a hard time figuring out how they want you to use these plugs. Ideally I'd like to eventually cut these out and just put 1.5" hayward fittings but I don't have access to them locally and want to get the water level back up and filter circulating asap.

I did not install mine above the seam. Well, the frame is partly above the seam, but the actual screw holes are just below. I usually keep the water level a bit higher... about where the red line is.

823C633A-7002-44BF-AC92-3D1EF7251B0D.jpeg

You can use the black caps to cover the outlets, but I wouldn’t suggest using only the black caps. That’s asking for a leak or even a gusher, if something bumps it and causes it to come off. Those are meant for temporary use if you need to block the water to work on the pump, replace a hose, etc. You can try your idea with putting it under the strainer, but not sure that’s a good long term solution. I think I would be inclined to triple patch it if I really didn’t ever want to use it.

I personally would keep one of the suction holes... if they are at different heights, the lower one. That way if water level drops below the skimmer for some reason that isn’t detected right away, your pump won’t burn up. And you could use the other as another return.

I should have put mine where yours is - I didn't realize how high the water would seem! lol. Kids are going to have an infinity intex. I did not cut the skimmer hole through the seam band, the top of the hole is right below the band, but the top of my frame is higher and the screws wound up just clipping the top of the band all the way across.

Suction holes are capped right now, did not have time to address right now. I may order the hayward fittings and try to do the bowl over cut thing and see what happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.