Hayward Skimmer Question / Suitable for Intex Prism 10' x 30"?

GoBirds

Jun 17, 2021
Pennsylvania
Hey guys -- discovered the site this week and wish I had done so a year ago before I started hacking things together with no idea what the end goals were. The info here has been great to read and learn from.

Was wondering if anyone with some first hand experience installing a Hayward skimmer on an Intex Prism could weigh in on whether they feel it's appropriate for a pool of my size (10' x 30"). We want to keep the waterline at 24" to abide by zoning regs & for the general safety of our two little kids. I am not sure whether there's enough "void space" between the desired 24" waterline and the double-stitching on the liner for the tube sleeves to make this a workable solution or not. Without having seen this skimmer firsthand it is difficult to visualize exactly where the waterline would -or could- land if it's installed.

I have an Intex 1500 gpm pump hard piped to 1.5" PVC & flex tubes; currently the return & intake are utilizing the 1.25"->1.5" adapter fittings. I would like to open these up to the proper 1.5" size for better flow, and intend to install the Intex 1.5" eyeball this weekend on the return. My objective is to increase the intake flow as well and the Hayward skimmer seems to be the generally agreed to best way to do this. If it's not the right path to go down, can anyone supply the proper Intex part number for the 1.5" intake + strainer fittings?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP :)

You can put a skimmer on that pool, it will work just like any other pool.. You will need to keep the water level half way or above on the skimmer for it to operate correctly with the pump...

1624018761118.png
Here is what I used to do it.. :)

Thanks -- great resources. Can you tell me whether the Hayward fitting (the one you linked) will accept the 1.5" threaded gray coupling off the basic Intex white flex hose? This is what's currently plumbed into the intake -- I know Intex stuff is a psuedo-proprietary thread that's sort-of-but-not-quite compatible with PVC -- is the Hayward the same way in need of their own custom connections, or are they compatible?

That I do not know, those are all true 1.5 inch connections for hard pipe.. I have never used any Intex as I hard piped from the start.. :)

No problem, thanks. What I don't understand about Intex making up their own bizarro threading system (I assume to drive aftermarket parts sales?) is why bother with it if you aren't going to even attempt to make it clear which components will mate? It's next to impossible to decode this without physically handling the parts first.

No problem, thanks. What I don't understand about Intex making up their own bizarro threading system (I assume to drive aftermarket parts sales?) is why bother with it if you aren't going to even attempt to make it clear which components will mate? It's next to impossible to decode this without physically handling the parts first.
This is what you need to connect the intex 40mm to 1 1/2” piping Amazon “ intex adapter”

Attachments

• 17CC885A-611A-4BC7-8A79-38D2A20552CA.png
    17CC885A-611A-4BC7-8A79-38D2A20552CA.png
    538.7 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Pv2 and cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.