Toronto, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
So installed my pool 2 summers ago and have had someone open and close it. But it occurred to me I don't hink he has been cleaning the salt cell.

Decided to remove it this morn. But I can't seem to get it off. I loosened the two collars completely. But the top part (see picture... Cell was installed in a vertical orientation) it is completely stuck.

Do I simply try and pry it from the pipe? Want to make sure I don't break anything!

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_085917.jpg
    IMG_20200405_085917.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 18
The salt cell is attached with unions, so once you undo the collars it should just slide right out... there are two flat surfaces mated against each other, probably with an O ring between them. It’s possible that the O ring has started to break down and maybe gotten kind of goopy and sticky but you should able to just slide the cell out.

I'd get a replacement o-ring set before you mess with it further or you could have a big leak. Then tap lightly with a rubber mallet around each joint. Be careful not to damage the threads. These unions are usually proprietary and expensive not easily replaced with something from a big box store. Normally they separate easily without much effort so your o-rings may be degrading or (hopefully not) somebody used sealant on the joint previously.

Chris

It should just slide out. If not, I suspect that maybe some glue or primer dripped from the above fitting into the mating surfaces. It should come apart. Hopefully, without too much force.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.