Hayward S200 sand filter leaking at multi-port valve connections

krick

Jun 11, 2013
Cary, NC
I have an older Hayward S200 sand filter and I replaced the multi-port valve last year. I noticed that there was a small leak around the connections where the valve connects to the filter. I tried tightening the connections more but I don't think I can get it any tighter without breaking something. It's an old filter and I worry about it cracking.

When I was putting it together, I used the correct lube on the o-rings so I know that's not a problem. However, it did seem that the connection was easier to push in than you'd expect with an o-ring involved. Do they make larger/different o-rings for this connection?

Red arrows show where it is leaking...

s200.png

I would try another set of O rings. They are inexpensive.

Anything pool wise with o rings isn't supposed to be overthightened. It's bit in the reverse, the more you tighten the more you're forcing the o ring out from the very place it's supposed to seal. If it doesn't seal with relative pressure then it needs to be looked at closer for a damaged o ring or damaged surfaces.

Reactions: krishmk
+3 Krick. It took me several seasons of tightening, taking apart / retightening / taking apart……. To realize that my ‘hand tight’ was the equivalent of the PB telling me ‘hand tight plus 1/8 turn’. Many many pinched O-rings were bought before I figured that out. :)

After that, reassembly was always a snap as I would start ‘snug’ and then only need to tighten a little if any. Starting overtight, I’d have drips which would get much worse tightening it even more while chasing my tail.

Finally getting back to this thread.

I pulled everything apart and it appears that one or both of the bulkhead fittings are cracked inside where they penetrate through the filter body. This is allowing a slow drip leak that comes out behind the hex shaped portion of the fitting.

There's a part number on it S-200-D (see attached photo) but I can't find an exact match for that part number. I also found indications that the design of this part may be different on S200 filters that were manufactured after the mid 90s.

I'm pretty sure my filter is original from 1981 when the pool was originally installed (I didn't own the home until 2012).

Looking online, I found this site selling what look like it might be the correct part but I'm not sure...

Attachments

• S-200-D.jpg
    S-200-D.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
For $20.26 it is worthwhile trying the part and seeing if it fits.

Otherwise it sounds like you are you looking to replace your possibly 40 year old filter.

Maybe @1poolman1 @Poolbreh @ferretbone has ideas.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.