Hayward PVC plumbing

Not to hijack too much but it is on topic... So you're all saying that the new multiport that I'm receiving, hopefully today, from Hayward will have proprietary threads and I'll have to get Hayward fittings to hook my PVC to the valve? I have a few 1 1/2" thread to 1 1/2" female PVC unions. I guess I'll see if they thread in properly to the valve.

Yes that is the valve. It would go between the pump and filter. The straight side would be from pump to filter. The other would normally stay closed. You can then put your backwash hose "normally blue vinal hose" on that side. When you want to vac to waste, open that side and it will close the filter side. With the bump type filter you do not use a backwash valve like other de filters.
But I need to connect main drain to the valve. Straight side goes from pump to filter. The other from main drain. So I think I have to put it before pump. So I can control where the water is sucked from (main drain,skimmer or half and half)

- - - Updated - - -

Not to hijack too much but it is on topic... So you're all saying that the new multiport that I'm receiving, hopefully today, from Hayward will have proprietary threads and I'll have to get Hayward fittings to hook my PVC to the valve? I have a few 1 1/2" thread to 1 1/2" female PVC unions. I guess I'll see if they thread in properly to the valve.
I can't help you with that because I ordered one with slip in connections, not threaded. But I'm pretty sure the multiport will have same threads as on Hayward filter or pump. So probably you will have to order Hayward fittings.
It sucks the manufacturers made our lives harder just because they want to make more money by forcing us to purchase their parts.

No what I am taking about is a valve for pump to waste. DE filters are very good at keeping a clean pool clean. If you have stuff on the floor you can discharge it before it gets to the filter. You would need two valves then. One before the pump for main drain and skimmer and one between the pump and filter.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

No what I am taking about is a valve for pump to waste. DE filters are very good at keeping a clean pool clean. If you have stuff on the floor you can discharge it before it gets to the filter. You would need two valves then. One before the pump for main drain and skimmer and one between the pump and filter.
That what I was thinking. Will need two valves. But this is another $60 that I will have to spent.

- - - Updated - - -

How did you guys connect PVC to skimmer? Also what type of valves did you use to close the skimmer and outlet?

I have a doughyboy and they have the boots. It should be the same I think they were called the hard plumb kit. I paid 7.50 each for two. I did use the cheap red or black handle valves for the return and skimmer. I was thinking when they freeze up and brake I would change them out with pool valves. I had them on hand. Some have had luck with the rubber boots going to pvc. You just have to crank down on the hose clamp more.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

I got mine today also. Now I have to figure it out on how to remove the hoses and not release water from the pool. Somehow I have to block the skimmer and outlet.

Check inside the skimmer where the body of the skimmer is plumbed to the pipe or hose that leads to the pump. Usually that opening is threaded and takes a 1.5" plug. The eyeball fitting on the return should unscrew and you can screw a plug in there as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like the plug idea. But I have only one available. Will go to home depot tonight to purchase all the PVC. Maybe they have plug that will work

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

You can get Jandy valves or pool specific 3 way valves online as well, but it's pretty clear you're not gonna wait for that!

While the "Pool Valves" are better quality, the biggest advantage is that if they ever start to leak, the innards can be completely overhauled while the valve housing stays in place.

I've got the red handled ones on my setup. I figure I'm going to replace the wing handles sooner rather than later, and if they ever start leaking, I'll just figure something out.

My red handle ball valves lasted about 3 years. They became almost immovable and I finally broke the handles off. I now have Jandy valves that I expect to last for the life of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.