Hayward Pump "Power End" Question...

Jul 2, 2012
Central MS
A friend of mine's pump went out last week, and now they're looking for a replacement. When I typed in the part number in amazon, it came up as the "Power End Replacement".

The link is here: https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX3210X15Z2PE-2-Horsepower-Efficient-Replacement/dp/B005INZ3DI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487040420&sr=8-1&keywords=Spx3210x15z2pe

Now my question is, I know that the power end isn't exactly plug and play...but I'm not sure what else I'd need - as the picture shows the entire pump assembly. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Lol Thanks, but I already know how to install it. I was more or less looking for all the items included in the "power end" of a pump replacement so I could go ahead and order whatever other seals and gaskets I would need so I could have everything before starting. So many projects I've worked on that could've been done in an hour, that end up taking a week because you realized the other parts needed to do a proper install.

Power End-1 1/2 Hp, Maxstar, 2 | Hayward Residential and Commercial Pool Products

It's everything except the strainer housing, basket and lid.

Basically, everything that pulls out when you remove the bolts. The only thing you should need to add is the housing gasket. Part Number SPX3200T.

However, it would be less expensive to just replace the motor and seals. Consider going lower hp, two speed or variable speed. Might need to relace impeller.

If the pump is old and in bad shape, consider going to a new pump. Maybe lower power, two speed or variable speed.

Yes JamesW! That's the information I was looking for. I would love to do this as inexpensive and as easy as possible.

The problem with the pump was due to a broken seal (not sure which one) leak that caused the motor to burn up, and went unchecked for a while...not sure exactly how long. So I figured I'd go ahead and replace the whole thing (probably 10 years old?) but the part numbers I've found on the old pump assembly are only giving me motors and power ends - not full assemblies.

So far I've gotten SPX3210X15Z2PE (power end - found on the pump housing), and SP3210Z2ME (motor - found on the motor label). It's a 19k-20k gallon pool (rect 18x36) with 2 skimmers, the furthest one running through almost 100 feet of pipe to the pump. I feel like a 1hp pump would be overworked. The label also indicates that it is a 2 speed pump at 1.5hp/0.19hp. Do you think I could still go with a 1hp? I haven't calculated the feet head.

I wish these pumps would be more like iPhones with model numbers (iPhone 6S with 64 gigs. iPhone 7 with 32 gigs, etc). But they're more like how car models work. You can have a 100 different new Ford F-150s in a parking lot, and not a single one couldn't be identical...but they're all f-150s. I did look at the label reader at inyo, which was pretty helpful.

If you just want the cheapest fix, you can get a motor, impeller and seal kit. The motor is square flange.

Motor total hp...........impeller
1.0................................SPX3205C
1.25..............................SPX3207CM
1.40..............................SPX3207C
1.85..............................SPX3210C

You can do the above as a single speed or 2 speed or variable speed. I think that your current impeller is an SPX3210C.

Or, you can do a new pump. A variable speed tristar can drop in with the existing unions

A bigger pump (total hp) does not give you a big boost in flow rate. Most of the extra power is lost trying to move the water through the plumbing.

A 1.0 hp total might give you 63 gpm (at total head loss of 37 feet) with a filter pressure of about 11 psi. Stepping up to a 1.85 total hp pump would give you about 80 gpm (at a total head loss of 60 feet) with a filter pressure of about 17 psi.

So, you can see that for a marginal increase in flow rate, you're paying a big price in power usage.

Using a two speed or variable speed gives you big savings due to the pump affinity law. Basically, power usage increases by the speed increase ratio of the impeller or speed increase ratio of the water cubed.

Actual, real world power difference is closer the speed difference ratio^2.6.

(80/63)^2.6 = 1.86

The seal for that pump is SPX3200SA. US Seal has a better seal the ps-1907 is their silicon carbide and the ps-4280 is their ozone/salt seal.

In my opinion, going with the Silicon Carbide seal is worth the extra cost as you can see the cost of a failed seal.

Oh wow - lots of great input here. I just decided to go with the direct match replacement of the power end. It was a little more expensive than doing an overhaul, but at least now my friend can have a pump to cannibalize some parts off of, if needed for the short term. Always nice to have a spare capacitor around!

But seriously thanks for your help, JamesW - you really know your stuff!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.