Hayward Pump not priming

LisaM

May 26, 2011
I have a hayward super pump II. It is not priming on its own. To get it to prime I must shut all 3 intake valves from my skimmers and the main drain, put water in the basket, turn on the pump and then 1/2 way open the closest skimmer. I must do this 3 times to get the thing to prime. I can not figure this out! I replaced the o ring on the skimmer basket and it primed perfectly for a few days then stopped. I do need a new o ring on the filter and have a slight leak there but I dont think that is the problem. No air coming in the skimmers. No other visible leaks that I can see. Obviously air is getting in there some place. What other gaskets should I check? Any suggestions?

I did try that and actually replaced it a second time 2 days ago. used Jacks and lubed it all up.... still not priming. When I first turn the pump off the basket stays filled with water... i can hear some movement of water but cant figure out where. Only overnight does the basket empty out and lose its prime. I watched it for a good 20 minutes last night trying to see if I could see where the air bubble were coming from, either the lid or the intake valve, impeller side... but didnt see any bubbles and couldnt watch it any longer.

Would it be helpful to close the multiport valve even though it comes after the pump? If I turn that to close I guess I could at least rule that side out. Also I have tried keeping all the intake lines from the skimmer and the main drains closed over night and that did not correct the problem.

Take a good close look at the drain plug(s) on the basket. It apparently isn't a very big leak. Closing the multiport might help.

I think we have a clue. You said that you needed a new gasket on the filter and that the pump basket only loses water when it's off. So, it could be the leak on the filter allowing air into the system when the pump isn't running.

Well I have found the leak... the question is how to fix it. This pipe seems to have a pretty good leak so I assume that is where my air is getting in. I am not a plumber... so I have no clue how to fix this thing. Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG00219-20110615-1835.jpg
    IMG00219-20110615-1835.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 252
That union is not the source of your air leak. That union is on the pressure side of the pump and will have little to do with priming your pump.

The leak you are looking for is on the suction side.....somewhere between the skimmer and the pump impeller.

That said, you need to fix that leak in the pic, too, but it won't solve the priming issue.

I turned the pump off last night and doused that area with soapy water and saw the bubbles get sucked into the skimmer basket.... That is why I was thinking it was the reason I was losing prime.

Well, I may need to get you to send me some 409 to wipe the egg off my face!! :oops:

That leak can, in fact, cause you to lose prime, but it is not causing the failure to re-gain prime when you turn the pump back on.

The reason you may have difficulty regaining prime is the height above the pool water of the pump.

So, without getting into more detail, the leak needs to be fixed anyway (and fixed correctly...not with that silicone that's on it) so go ahead and fix that and see if that solves the issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you so much! Now.... here is the big question. Can I fix it by simply unscrewing that nut and adding some sealant (tape or whatever) to the threads there or do I need to do something more?

Should be a relatively easy fix. Disassemble the pump completely (you'll have to remove the suction intake pipe as well.

Inspect both male and female threads for damage at the leak.

THOROUGHLY clean off that silicone that was put on.

Get PVC pipe sealant at HD/Lowe's

Apply a thin coating of the pipe dope to both sides and screw down the union (nut) hand tight plus maybe 1/4 turn

That should do it.

I have read that if the pump runs dry it can melt the impeller seal. I did have an instance when i was getting the pool up and running this year where the pressure got too high and the pump ran dry for a few hours. It was VERY hot when I got home. Is this something I should be concerned about? If that is the case I think I may need to call the pool guy. I have looked up instructions for replacing that and it seems a bit complicated.... Could that cause it to not prime on its own? Once I get it primed it runs fine.

Update: found a crack in the union so I replaced the whole thing. When I took the the front union off I also found a missing O ring... which may be the actual problem! Will get it back up and running this afternoon hopefully with no more air in the returns and no priming problems!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.