Hayward pump noise

rogerhst

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 20, 2009
Prattville, Alabama
This morning we went outside and found that our pump was making a loud noise.

Not sure what I should do short of just replacing the pump.

It was installed in June 2015 - so it is 4 years old. I've attached a zip file that you can open to hear the noise.

Thanks
Roger

Attachments

• Untitled.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
Sorry, I am not going to open a ZIP file I find online ;)
You may have better luck posting your video to YouTube and providing a link.

Usually motor noises are due to the bearings going bad and if is often most cost effective to just replace the motor (no need to replace the entire pump). This affords the opportunity to upgrade to a 2-speed motor which will save a fair bit of electricity when running on low speed.

Roger,

Jason's guess is right. Sounds like a bearing to me. The bearing is replaceable very cheap but it can get to be an involved DIY project. There are a lot of videos if you search "pump motor bearing replace" that make it look pretty easy and it is if the 4 long bolts that hold the motor together are not frozen.into the front flange. In that case at least one will twist off instead of unscrewing. Then you have to drill it out and re-tap the threads or drill through and use a nut on the outside of the flange to secure the bolts that twist off. If you don't want to tackle this there are a couple of options:
  • There may be a motor shop that will rebuild it for you at about half price. Worth checking around.
  • Replacement motors are also available at price way better than a pump replace Very easy to do.
  • This may be a good time to upgrade to a 2-speed or a variable speed pump. The replace motor is under $200 and the other options are much more but they payout in less than 1 year for most pools due to lower electric bills.
  • There are also variable speed motors available so you may still be able to retain your existing pump. Inyopools.com website and technical support are very helpful for this option.
Regardless of the path forward make sure you replace the pump seal since seal failure almost certainly caused your bearing problem. The seal and bearing are both readily available at $20-$30 online.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

You could certain switch to a 2-speed 1HP motor, or one of the smaller VS motors.
Running at low speed of a 2-speed will move 1/2 the water with 1/4 the electricity.

The existence of a booster pump is not relevant to the main pump. If you have a pressure cleaner, you know that you have to have both pumps running for the cleaner. So, with the ability to run the main pump at a lower speed will save you money when running the cleaner too.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Roger

Yes these are definitely options for your main pump that will usually pay out in less than a year. The best solution depends a lot on how your pool is used, maintained, your specific equipment and your personal preferences. Can you please add a little more information about your pool? How do you disinfect (liquid chlorine, salt?), do you have a spa, how do you control (timer or automation?) etc. The cheapest solution is usually replace the motor and pump seal but many people upgrade at this point also,

Chris

Roger,

*** Edited because I pressed publish accidentally.*** OK your choices are pretty simple. If you want the cheapest solution it's still replace the motor. What Brand and model salt system do you have and what are your current % power and run time settings? These will affect your final design if you want to look at the other options. Are you interested in these options?

Chris

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.