Hayward Pump keeps popping the circuit breaker

Aug 29, 2011
Reidsville, NC
Greetings,

We had a fairly big storm here last night with considerable lightening. This morning, I find that my pump is not running. When I plug it in, the circuit breaker on the receptacle pops. I can plug other items in and they work fine. It's only when I plug in the pump. I have checked the wiring connections on the pump and I do not see any sort of charring. I cleaned the connections and cleared out all the dust bunnies and cobwebs but with no success. Just curious if anyone has any other suggestions I might try, other than buying a new pump. I'm hoping it wont come to that. Appreciate any input.

Is there any clear evidence of a lightening strike either at or near your house?

Do you have a surge protector? Cannot defend against a direct lightening hit, but can be a potential factor in your best protection.

Also, your signature states one make of pump and your title states another...what make a model do you have and how old it it?

If lightning surge hit it or it’s an old motor the fact is it’s tripping the breaker and that’s either you have the windings shorted together or to ground and I hate to be the bad news kid but a new motor is in store for you. Depending on your skill level you can replace the motor itself and use the existing pump or the whole thing. But this time of the year you need to get circulation as fast as you can.

Thanks for the reply. Fortunately, after sending in my question, I was able to get the pump running again. I dont know what caused it to start but it is running fine now. Thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply. Fortunately, after sending in my question, I was able to get the pump running again. I dont know what caused it to start but it is running fine now. There was no evidence of a lightening strike that I could see. We never had any issues with power in the house. Sorry about the difference in the signature. I have tried to figure out how to update it but have been unsuccessful so far. Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply. Fortunately, after sending in my question, I was able to get the pump running again. I dont know what caused it to start but it is running fine now. Thanks again

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply. Fortunately, after sending in my question, I was able to get the pump running again. I dont know what caused it to start but it is running fine now. There was no evidence of a lightening strike that I could see. We never had any issues with power in the house. Sorry about the difference in the signature. I have tried to figure out how to update it but have been unsuccessful so far. Thanks again.

That’s good but keep an eye on it .

Just a note that I (somewhat) followed the advice here (Pump keeps tripping?) and it solved the same issue.

After months of trouble free operation, the GFCI started tripping. Thought it was the switch, but that wasn’t the issue.

My pump is up on a wooden pallet, but ants had somehow found their way inside the pump and brought with them tons of dirt and ant eggs. Ew! After two days of heavy rain, the dirt inside the motor absorbed enough moisture from the air and started shorting out the wiring inside.

I pulled the front housing off, crafted a long crevice tool from a straw, taped it to my shop-vac and sucked out as much crud as I could from around the electrical contacts. I then reversed the flow on the shop-vac and blew out the whole pump as best I could reach to dry it out. Put the front housing back on, plugged it back in, and it’s been running properly ever since.

I didn't see this earlier but when you said...When I plug it in, the circuit breaker on the receptacle pops. I can plug other items in and they work fine...This indicates to me that something in the motor or wiring for it got wet causing the GFCI to trip. It does not take a lot of moisture to cause problems if it gets into the right places.

Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.