May 25, 2015
Fort Mill, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey gang!

So I've got this old Hayward pump that is leaking. I can see the water dribbling out where the motor mates up with the housing. I understand there are one or more gaskets in there that may be the culprit. The motor was replaced last year, however the pump assembly is probably 15 - 20 years old. I don't believe any gaskets were replaced at that time (a pool service did the work). The part number and serial number have faded with time. So I'm looking for a proper identification of the pump and/or replacement parts needed and recommendations for a quick fix.

The leak started last year but was barely an issue. But now I did a bucket test and am losing around 1/2" of water a day while the pump is running and you can see all the leaked water. So that's not good. Can I just crank down on those four bolts a bit?

Hayward_Pump01.jpg

Hayward_Pump02.jpg

honestly the best and quickest fix would be a brand new VSF or VSP pump :) next year you will not be able to get any 1 speed pumps...

The only thing I can think of to maybe find the o ring kit would be to send pictures to inyo pools and see if they can find it, they are great at this kind of thing :)

Thanks, yeah I've got a guy coming out tomorrow to quote a variable speed pump. The leak is a nightmare and that does seem to be the quickest path out of this. I haven't done any research though, been too busy with work.

Wow I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the variable speed pumps. All the threads on the subject seem to have SWG's and/or control systems.

So my pool is very spartan. I just have a simple timer controlling the single speed pump. Is there not a drop-in variable speed replacement that does not have built in controls and has power cycled with an external timer? Or is my best bet to bypass/remove the timer altogether and go with a pump with built-in scheduling?

To be honest I'm skeptical that the single-speed pumps are being sunsetted. They are for sale everywhere. Maybe those are my best bet? Have I been sent out in the weeds here?

The variable speed pumps come with a scheduler / Controller integral to the pump.

You will no longer be able to buy a single speed pool pump motor of 1.1THP or greater as of July 2021.

I had to replace a motor recently and found a downtown motor shop that was authorized by the manufacturer was a tremendous help. They weren't a pool shop, but they knew more about the motor and pump assembly than anyone I've ever dealt with in 10 years. They were able to disassemble the whole thing, diagnose the problem and reassemble with a new seal. Saved me a ton of money and I got the problem fixed the next day. Just another option I never thought of until this year's pool troubles. You're not in Birmingham, but if you google Brannon electric motor you'll see the kind of shop I'm talking about. Good luck to you!

Wow I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the variable speed pumps. All the threads on the subject seem to have SWG's and/or control systems.

So my pool is very spartan. I just have a simple timer controlling the single speed pump. Is there not a drop-in variable speed replacement that does not have built in controls and has power cycled with an external timer? Or is my best bet to bypass/remove the timer altogether and go with a pump with built-in scheduling?

To be honest I'm skeptical that the single-speed pumps are being sunsetted. They are for sale everywhere. Maybe those are my best bet? Have I been sent out in the weeds here?
You may be in luck :)

If your pump end is still in good working order you can replace just the motor with a brand new V Green VSP motor as I am doing this weekend.... You just need to ask Inyo Pools or find out if you have a square or round flange on your current pump....

The reason you see them all on sale is they are trying to offload them before they can no longer sell them....

you will still need the pump rebuild kit for all the seals..
square flange A.O. Smith V-Green 1.65 HP Square Flange 48Y Variable Speed Motor - ECM16SQU - INYOPools.com

round flange A.O. Smith V-Green 1.65 HP Round Flange 56J Variable Speed Motor - ECM16CU - INYOPools.com

I see a lot of value in getting an accurate gallons per minute readout. Is that standard or do only some types or models provide that?

Any other features I should focus on for my application?

I am curious, what do you do with that data?

Total gallons, or an instantaneous flow, any of that data would make it easier to target a certain number of turnovers per day. I believe the goal is somewhere in the range of 1 - 3?

I can guesstimate it now via HP and pipe size but I've never connected all the dots. I run the pump for 8 hours and have no idea what the turnover rate is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sad to say, but turnover in a pool is a myth. Chemistry keeps the pool clean and sanitary. Filtering removes stuff that falls in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.