Goodyear AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I'm running a Hayward ProLogic PS8 system with a two-year-old Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP and two days ago the pump stopped working and the ProLogic Controller display said "FILTER VSP DRIVE COMM ERROR"

It says online this is a communication error between ProLogic controller and the EcoStar SP3400VSP.

I shut off all power to the pool controls using the breakers in the ProLogic panel but no luck

No damage to wires between VSP and ProLogic Controller panel.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this and what the common fix was?

I've seen it on the Aqualogic system and it turned out to be the Display board, but that was after they said it was a main board. Did you call the 800 no. there techs may be able to solve over the phone, or you may want to pay a Qualified Hayward service tech to troubleshoot

I have spoken to Hayward and they suggested the power reset. It's possibly a communication issue between the Prologic board and the pump. Since AZ has had so many power surges with all the AC running they thought something blew the breaker but none was tripped that I could see.

I'm looking try anything before having to pay for a service call.

So I just wanted to update this thread in case anyone else has this issue.

The EcoStar SP3400VSP pump was covered under an extended 4-year parts and labor warranty and the entire top of the pump which holds the electronics was replaced.

According to my pool guy, Hayward has a silent warranty extension on all EcoStar pumps, this issue of the VSP Drive Communication Error is a known issue and that's why they extended the warranty to 4 years parts and labor.

This was also one of the reasons they no longer make the EcoStar SP3400VSP.

I wanted anyone who owns an EcoStar SP3400VSP to be aware so your pool guy doesnt make you buy a whole new pump.

I've had my EcoStar VSP for 9 years, (professionally installed in 2012) always has run great, haven't touched it, and this week it throws that code "VSP drive Comm Error". I've checked all the fuses, checked all wires to be tight, reset all breakers several times, and I still have the "check system" red light in... Local service guy is 2 weeks out, pool will be green by then... was thinking about overriding or turning off the control of the ProLogic PL4 and just running the pump manually? I'll call Hayward tech support tomorrow, not sure what I should check? Any other ideas? THX

Last edited:
I've had my EcoStar VSP for 9 years, (professionally installed in 2012) always has run great, haven't touched it, and this week it throws that code "VSP drive Comm Error". I've checked all the fuses, checked all wires to be tight, reset all breakers several times, and I still have the "check system" red light in... Local service guy is 2 weeks out, pool will be green by then... was thinking about overriding or turning off the control of the ProLogic PL4 and just running the pump manually? I'll call Hayward tech support tomorrow, not sure what I should check? Any other ideas? THX
I just got the same error, what was you resolution in the end?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.