Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter Model S-244T drain problem

cehmtx

Jun 22, 2013
Bowling Green KY
Filter was installed new June 2003 along with new Hayward SP0714T XL Valve.
Valve was replaced in May 2012 with same model.
This spring on opening pool, I discovered the drain nipple had been partially chewed off by vermin.
Approx. 1/3 of screw threads are gone all the way to the filter's body.
The drain cap screws on, but cannot seal the pressurized water from the filter.
I have tried a more expensive pipe tape which has reduced the leak, but it still leaks causing water loss and water mess.

Local pool shops tell me that there is no fix for the drain problem except to replace the entire filter. No one makes a "drain adapter fix-it kit."
Further, none of the shops will order and install only the filter. Their solution is that the entire filter, valving, with new sand is called for for two reasons:
1. The valving and filter are only sold as a set.
2. Given the age of the filter (2003) and the valve (2012), it would be wise to replace both now and not just the filter.

Any easier fix to repair the drain (or just stopping the leak) besides replacing the entire filter and valve?

Thanks for suggestions.

Can you post a picture of the damage?

How about inserting a bulkhead fitting through the drain nipple and then either putting a cap or valve on it? Since a bulkhead fitting has a gasket that would seal to the inside of the vessel, it should work. Even if not optimal it would save replacing the filter.

Hey guys. Thanks for the suggestions. Problem solved (so far) with help from a Lowes' service tech in plumbing department. My total cost (except time) was $5.87 plus tax for a 1-inch coupling threaded on both ends, a 1-inch plug, and pipe thread seal product labeled as TPlus 2 Thread Seal. I also used some pipe tape on the plug.
So far over three days of constant running pump and several backwash-rinse cycles, NO leaks.
The only downside will be that when I need to drain the filter, greater care must be exercised. I will need to use two wrenches - one to hold the coupling in place and the second to turn the plug.
With this fix, I didn't need to remove the valve and sand to attach anything inside the filter.
Thanks again!

Dave--here are the pics of the repaired filter drain. To drain the filter, I will need to remove the plug while holding the adapter still. The adapter is screwed onto what was left of the drain protruding from the filter body. The adapter fits the original threads of the drain tightly enough that I did not need to use a gasket washer to seal the adapter's leading edge where it meets the filter. The adapter screwed all the way onto the drain until it met the filter body. I used the pipe seal on the inside of the adapter threads where it screws onto the drain. I don't plan on removing the adapter.
The plug has tapered threads and the pipe tape is just overkill on my part.
And all that for under $6.00 without having to work inside the filter.

closer view1.jpg
closer view2.jpg
largest view.jpg

Glad to share! Lowes plumbing tech didn't know about pool filters but he stayed with me for about 30 minutes and we discussed several alternatives each of us thought about. This method seemed simple enough to try (about a 1 beer job) and was CHEAP. I was just too cheap to pay $650 (filter and valve plus my labor and sand cost) or $850 (total installed price for everything.)

I also plan to put rodent poison inside the pool house this winter to offer the critters something more "tasty" than my plastic pool equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.