Hayward Powerline .5 hp pump leaks after 6 months

denniswiseman

Bronze Supporter
Nov 27, 2014
United Kingdom
Hayward Powerline pump leaks after 6 months use
After contacting my supplier they said it wasn't guaranteed as the water was outside the correct parameters (acidic) and irrepairable
I strongly denied the parameters were wrong as I use the Taylor 2006C test kit
They did however give me a discount on a replacement pump which is now showing signs of leaking after 2 months
Does any one have information as to the suitability of this pump or similar issues

Image of the shaft, don't know what is on it as it was never returned
Shaft seal.jpg

More than likely it is the shaft seal they are using. Does the seal have a brand name or number stamped on it?

I was just curious if they were using inferior seals. The pictures shows the shaft so I am assuming you had it apart at some time.

As I mentioned earlier, it is most likely a bad shaft seal. Pump manufactures don't manufacture their own seals and it could have been a bad batch affecting more than one pump.

Is the second pump leaking from exactly the same place? Shaft seals will usually leak in the center of where the motor meats the wet end.

Maybe rust. That is where the shaft would rust if the seal leaked. It could also be residue from the seal if it spun in the seat. More importantly, what they didn't show was the seal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is a lot of salt. I have a salt water pool (SWG) and my pumps don't get hardly any salt residue.

Have you ever measured your salt level?

You said Powerline, is that the right model? Can you send a picture of the complete pump together.

Did the image that I sent, help you understand what could be the problem with these pumps

- - - Updated - - -

That is a lot of salt. I have a salt water pool (SWG) and my pumps don't get hardly any salt residue.

Have you ever measured your salt level?
I've just got some Aquachek salt test strips. The result is 2430, well below the 3000 for a SWG

Not familiar with this pump but you may check the seal plate for damage also. This is the area the mechanical seal (white ceramic piece) resides in and if it spins on shaft, it can damage the seal plate which is plastic. If this happens, you can keep replacing seals without effectively curing the problem and will have constant leakage down the shaft into motor side of the unit.

I'd also check to make sure the pump isn't being run dry on initial start up. Make sure you have it well primed with water filling the basket as heat can/will damage this seal in short order cause damage/leaks. If basket is draining dry and takes the pump a long time to prime, it may be worth investing and installing a check valve to keep water in the basket while pump is off.

Model of our Power Flo II pump made in Europe. I have no information as I am on the US side.
Thanks for the reply
Can you let me have the details of a European contact as I would like to dicuss with them about these pumps
The UK website Power-Flo II shows it as a Power Flo II but my pump is a Powerline
Why would they have different names unless the Powerline is inferior
I use the TFP method and my numbers correct and the pH never drops to acidic which is what the supplier said was the problem

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.