Hayward Phoenix 4x AKA "The Pool Cleaner"

Philo

Oct 8, 2015
San Diego, Ca.
My neighbor has the 4 year old cleaner and it is really not moving well around the pool as before. The tires have been replaced and there is good suction from the pump.

As I lift it toward the surface, the wheels start moving pretty well but if I barely touch them, there is little resistance and they stop. I took it apart and it looks like an old pocket watch inside.....well maybe not that complicated but lots of gears.

The gears don't look damaged but do they typically wear out? If so, which ones should I replace?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

My neighbor has the 4 year old cleaner and it is really not moving well around the pool as before. The tires have been replaced and there is good suction from the pump.

As I lift it toward the surface, the wheels start moving pretty well but if I barely touch them, there is little resistance and they stop. I took it apart and it looks like an old pocket watch inside.....well maybe not that complicated but lots of gears.

The gears don't look damaged but do they typically wear out? If so, which ones should I replace?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I doubt it's a gear wear issue, but you can check the gears on the wheels and the small drive gear on the shaft that drives them. I would confirm the flow rate first then look at the engine itself, that's the vanes that slide out and can be replaced. Sounds like a torque issue and worn vanes or leakage would reduce torque.

Look at the tips of the vanes, there is a round profile at the very end, yellow parts in the image below. See if they have excessive wear or if they are out of shape. It's also important that they move freely and do not bind.

It might be hard to tell, but it sounds like a loss of torque issue, which means too much water is getting past the vanes of the engine.

Also make sure the wheels turn in air freely without biding. I would suggest you check the flow rate as well, are the filters clean? What does the gauge say on top of the filter, is it cartridge or ?

hayward-phoenix-2x-pool-cleaner-2-wheel-hayward-phoenix-2x-vs-4x-hayward-phoenix-2x-vs-poolvergn.jpg

Great picture, thanks.
It's seems to have been a slow gradual change to the point now it is just sort of moving in the deepest part of the pool.

P.S. Filters clean. I attached my Baracuda and it moves around swiftly.

If you have good flow, then is has to be something binding or torque loss through the engine components. If you can spin the cleaner wheels while holding it in the air freely with minimal effort, then it possibly is an engine issue.

I just took it apart again. Everything is working smoothly until the "drive " gear that goes into the wheels. That whole set up is VERY sloppy. The gears all look good but sometimes I can spin a wheel without the drive gear being engaged. I sort of remember it always being a little sloppy though.

I just took it apart again. Everything is working smoothly until the "drive " gear that goes into the wheels. That whole set up is VERY sloppy. The gears all look good but sometimes I can spin a wheel without the drive gear being engaged. I sort of remember it always being a little sloppy though.

Did you check the wheel RPM submerged under the waterline?

The reverse mechanism will move the gear forward and back automatically within the timing of the gearbox. So there is a neutral mode where it will slip a little naturally, but if it slips easily after shifting, the bearing or shaft is likely worn and needs replaced, the 4WD model has extra shafts + bearings, so you may want to look at which one is the worse and replace it, to do all would be costly. I would focus on the left front, as that the one that moves + changes direction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.