Hayward Northstar pump housing assembly issue

Feb 28, 2012
Hi,
I had 2005/06 year Hayward Northstar Pump for my pool. This is pre-owned house (2003), so I am not sure what year the pool was build.
The pump housing flange cracked & it was leaking water. So I hired equipment repair guy to fix it. We had to order new pump SPX4020TP which is replacement for pump before 2008.

My issue is - when we try to assemble the motor (with seal plate assembly from previous pump) with pump, its not going in. We have checked diffuser, diffuser o-ring, seal plate o-ring, etc as indicated in diagram. We are not able to flush motor mounting plate with pump flange. Hence we can't lock Motor Lock Ring. We tried pushing motor inside pump but no luck.
If we remove seal plate O ring then it goes in but of course I can't assemble w/o O ring.

I have checked diagrams on Hayward & 2008 only housing has changed. No change to seal plate, O-ring etc.
We have tried multiple times but no luck yet. Pump service guy is out of ideas.
Any suggestion on how to fix this issue?
thanks,
Buga

Reactions: DIY4LIFE
The seal plate can be very difficult to reinsert. Try some spray silicon on o-ring and pump housing. slowly work your way around the edge of the seal plate squeezing it closed a little at a time. It takes persistence and strength but you will eventually get it closed.

Reactions: DIY4LIFE
Hi,
I had 2005/06 year Hayward Northstar Pump for my pool. This is pre-owned house (2003), so I am not sure what year the pool was build.
The pump housing flange cracked & it was leaking water. So I hired equipment repair guy to fix it. We had to order new pump SPX4020TP which is replacement for pump before 2008.

My issue is - when we try to assemble the motor (with seal plate assembly from previous pump) with pump, its not going in. We have checked diffuser, diffuser o-ring, seal plate o-ring, etc as indicated in diagram. We are not able to flush motor mounting plate with pump flange. Hence we can't lock Motor Lock Ring. We tried pushing motor inside pump but no luck.
If we remove seal plate O ring then it goes in but of course I can't assemble w/o O ring.

I have checked diagrams on Hayward & 2008 only housing has changed. No change to seal plate, O-ring etc.
We have tried multiple times but no luck yet. Pump service guy is out of ideas.
Any suggestion on how to fix this issue?
thanks,
Buga
Hi! I was so relieved to find your post. I am having the literal exact same issue. Did you ever get the motor assembly back into the pump housing? I've tried so many things. I like the shared idea of trying a bunch of silcone, but still hesitant it will work. The thing does not budget at all. Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.