Hayward Northstar issues and part availability

gvl

Nov 20, 2021
SoCal
Hayward Northstar pump started to make noises like it was full of gravel. I ran it dry for 15 seconds and it was smooth and quiet. I went ahead and took it apart, discovered good amount of wear on the inside of the diffuser which probably lets the white impeller ring to play under pressure and this creates the noise. Should be a simple fix except the SPX4000B diffuser is discontinued and no availability online. I will try local pools stores maybe someone has one stashed. If not, what will happen if I run the pump w/out the white impeller ring? I came across some reviews on Amazon people saying they purposely omitted the impeller ring to avoid diffuser wear. So I guess it works at the cost of some efficiency.

Another issue, the nut connecting the exhaust pipe is on its last leg, it is the older style nut with the tabs, one tab broke off when I was disconnecting the pump and I suspect the rest will follow suit on assembly. Again, no replacement availability for spx4000unpak1. Unless I luck out and find one at a local store, sounds like I'm buying a new pump?

Inyo pools says I need to get a complete impeller kit to ensure shaft seal compatibility, even if I can get all the parts including new gaskets I will probably be out $200-$250 and still with an old motor that can fail at any time. Hmm, seems that using that money for a new pump isn't such a bad idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.