Hayward MaxFlow VS pump noise

ncnmra

Jul 27, 2018
London/Ontario
I recently installed a Hayward MaxFlow VS pump (240VAC). The installation went well and the pump works fine. However, I read and expected that the pump is quiet, yet I find it actually quite loud. It is indoors in a pool house, and perhaps the pump is amplified through the eco, but it seems to have quote a loud "fan" noise. It certainly sounds different than the replaced 3/4hp StaRite pump, and does not have the same lower pitched sound, but sounds like a bit of a jet engine with the rushing air.

I'm just looking for comments and opinions from owners of similar pumps. It does run at a tolerable sound below 2500rpm, however at priming speed (3450) it is almost unbearable.

n,

I find that VS pumps running at 3450 are just about a noisy as a single speed pumps running at 3450..

They are very quiet when running slow... kind of the whole idea of having a VS pump to begin with...

When my pump was new, and I was not used to it, I would often touch the pump just to make sure it was still running... :p I normally run at 1200 RPM.

Jim R.

That's fair, and certainly below 2000rpm it is reasonably quiet. I would argue that the higher pitch noise (it sounds like a cooling fan for the electronics perhaps?) seems almost louder than a single speed pump. My 3/4hp Sta-rite had more of a growl than the whoosh of the air.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.