Hayward Laminar Installed Without Equalizing Loop

elshazlyabe

In The Industry
Mar 11, 2024
Omaha Ne
I am working with a customer who had their 3 Laminars plumbed in wrong. There is a sand filter which I plan to swap out for a cartridge filter and install a symmetrical loop in on the surface. I'm also thinking of connecting it to a booster pump to minimize any changes in velocity. I have never worked on Laminars before and would appreciate some feedback from the community. TYIA!

Welcome to TFP.

I think you should follow the Installation Manual which unfortunately few installers seem to ever read.

I don't know why you need a booster pump. Page 9 of the manual says for best performance, 6-7 GPM should
be ideal.

What pool pump are you dealing with? Any pool pump should give you 50 GPM or more which lets you divert 21 GPM to the laminars and the remainder to the returns.

1710172112464.png

Attachments

• 092644_RevE_d6ae.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Typically laminars are not piped on a loop but utilize individual valves to each laminar allowing flow adjusts for water arch height matching.
All of the valves are placed together in a valve box located near the pool (mine is in the landscaping bed about 15' away from the pool) and feed from a dedicated pipe. Near the pool allows for easier adjusting.

And do the customer a favor and use all diverter valves and not ball valves that will stick in a few years and break when the customer goes to adjust them.

Welcome to TFP.

I think you should follow the Installation Manual which unfortunately few installers seem to ever read.

I don't know why you need a booster pump. Page 9 of the manual says for best performance, 6-7 GPM should
be ideal.

What pool pump are you dealing with? Any pool pump should give you 50 GPM or more which lets you divert 21 GPM to the laminars and the remainder to the returns.

View attachment 557649
Unfortunately, you are right. The builders did not plumb them correctly so they are not equalizing when there is any change in flow or velocity. The current build has a manifold on the surface with individual valves feeding each line. from the Trisar it goes to two bubblers with the same build, then the laminars then the returns.
Welcome to TFP.

be ideal.

View attachment 557649
Unfortunately, you are right. The builders did not read the manual and plumbed them in with a manifold on the surface with a valve for each line. The pump is a Tristar vs 3200. The pad is set up with 2 bubblers (installed the same way) then the laminars then returns.

Hayward Laminars come with little orange valves. You can adjust them individually. They also have screens in the other side of the valve/inlet assembly that can become clogged. They are similar to faucet screens, remove and clean them if you see that they aren’t flowing properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.