Mar 29, 2020
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I'm looking to possibly replace my Hayward H250FDN gas heater because ever since install it has had a very strong gas smell coming from it while it is running, and only while it's running. I've had both Hayward techs and plumbers come out to look at it. First visit from the tech, they fired it up, smelled it and said it needed a regulator. Plumber then came out and tested the pressure, and it is within the specs for the heater, so no regulator needed. Tech then came back out today, and said that the pressure at one of the valves was very low, and that the smell when firing it up was natural gas, but when running it is chemical burnoff from being a new unit.

Now, this unit was installed in May 2019, and we are in Houston, TX. It's not brand new. It's been used a handful of times, my neighbor has complained of a gas smell when it's running, the smell gets in our house, and when we had a party, a parent who knows gas pretty well was outside and said he smelled gas. That was after the unit had been on for quite a while.

So, questions:

Anyone else have this problem with this model, and what did you do to fix it?

If this problem can't be fixed, what are some reliable heater/chiller combo units that will withstand the heat of Houston summers?

Last edited:
Has anyone pulled apart the firebox and burner assembly to see if there’s any obstructions inside? Heaters make the perfect home for rats and all sorts of small ground creatures. Maybe you’re roasting a dead opossum every time you run it 😳

Reactions: BowserB
Get the local gas company to check it out. They have gas sniffers. If there is a leak, they will identify it and red-tag the unit. That should be all you need to get the manufacturer/installer to fix or replace it (it's been doing this since new and you reported it immediately).

Reactions: BowserB
I just had this problem. I thought it was gas, but it was actually something being burned. I had tiny seeds from a bush nearby that went through the vents and got into the heat exchanger. I took the heater apart and used a bristle head on the vacuum and got them all out. There's a lot of screws, but it might be worth your time to take a look.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.