Hayward Heat pump winterizing plugs

tpm

Sep 6, 2008
NY
Hello
I have a hayward heat pump heatpro 21404t. Could someone tell me just what size winterize rubber plug I need? I bought 2 3” plugs number 14 but they are too large. Thinking 2.5” but would like to know for sure
Thank you

So you want to plug the inlet and outlets at the bottom of the pump? Aren't there unions that screw onto those to connect it to the plumbing? With my Jandy, I just keep them attached (but loose) all winter so as to allow any water to drain out that gets in there. Not really enough space for any sort of ice build-up inside the inlet/outlet pipes. I keep the petcock open at the bottom also. What is the diameter of the openings you're hoping to put plugs into? From there, it should be easy to match up the proper plug sizes.

So you want to plug the inlet and outlets at the bottom of the pump? Aren't there unions that screw onto those to connect it to the plumbing? With my Jandy, I just keep them attached (but loose) all winter so as to allow any water to drain out that gets in there. Not really enough space for any sort of ice build-up inside the inlet/outlet pipes. I keep the petcock open at the bottom also. What is the diameter of the openings you're hoping to put plugs into? From there, it should be easy to match up the proper plug sizes.
I’m more worried about critters nesting. I break everything down and place filter, pumps, and salt cell in shed.
I started with #14 plugs for 3” pipe but was way too large. Just got #11 plugs today and are perfect fit. So SOLVED!

THANK YOU

Not sure what your setup is. Like I said, I reattach the unions at the inlet and outlet so there's no way for critters to go in there. I do sometimes wind up with mice dirt / nesting material inside the custom cover I have for my pump. They used to eat holes in my solid pool cover also.
My only other option would be using duct tape.
BA920A84-75A3-43AC-9D1F-74CDD071CEAE.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.