Hayward HDF400 Manifold Gaskets

Jun 27, 2015
Katy
For all you heater experts, can you share with me whether the rubber gaskets can break in less than 18 months of use? It was a new unit installed late 2021. If so, what is a reasonable labor charge for a pool company to do this work? I was charged $500.

Thanks!

1672698339066.png

View attachment 467474
Thank you, I will have to find out what warranty I have - I was only told it was 3 years. But I noted to the tech that I didn't have a less expensive pool repair guy come, because I had hoped the installer company would be able to service it under warranty. That's where the $500 charge came from.

Assuming no warranty, and just an o-ring what is a high/low cost to repair if direct paid?
Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, they are charging $200.00 per hour?

The price seems questionable.

How much had to be disassembled?

It's hard to tell how long it should take if we don't know exactly what they did.

I would want to know exactly why it failed and exactly what part was replaced.

Did you file a warranty claim with Hayward?

Is the Installer a "Totally Hayward" Dealer?

Did they do the gas and electrical as well as the pool plumbing?

Does the contractor have the necessary licenses to install gas appliances?

They would need a gas contractor’s license and a Residential Appliance Installer License.

A Residential Appliance Installer License (RAIL) is required by the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation (TDLR) to perform electrical work that is limited to residential appliance installation, including residential pool-related electrical installation and maintenance.

The installer license took effect March 1, 2008 and for pool and spa service professionals, this is the license one must obtain in order to perform swimming pool and spa service work that includes replacing pumps, underwater lights, motors and heaters.

TDLR enforces this licensure requirement and fines can and do occur for those who are not properly licensed.

https://www.txpsc.org/advocacy/regulatory/

https://vo.licensing.hpc.texas.gov/datamart/selSearchType.do

So, they are charging $200.00 per hour?

The price seems questionable.

How much had to be disassembled?

It's hard to tell how long it should take if we don't know exactly what they did.

I would want to know exactly why it failed and exactly what part was replaced.

Did you file a warranty claim with Hayward?

Is the Installer a "Totally Hayward" Dealer?

Hi James,

I was charged $850 for an actuator and the gasket - parts and labor.
I just looked and the warranty confirmation from Hayward says 3years parts and 3 years labor on the heater. I did not contact Hayward, I contacted the pool heater installer who sold and installed the equipment. I specifically waited for them (an extra week) with the hopes that it would be covered under warranty, rather than use a different pool person.

I can reach out to the owner, he has always been great to communicate with. I've never had warranty work done before, so just expected similar to a car dealership - that I would go through the person that sold/installed the unit to me. I knew I was over-paying for an actuator ($350 for a non brand), but thought doing so was right as the warranty would make up for it on the heater fix.

Any final advice before I contact him?

Did they do the gas and electrical as well as the pool plumbing?
A pool builder did the initial build/install. They replaced the heater in late 2021 after the last one failed. As part of that, they did have to run new electrical and re-plum pipe and the gas line due to a different heater setup.

They state that they are fully licensed by the State. They seem exceptionally reputable and come with great reviews. They provide their license # and state they are Regulated by The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation

I used the link you provided and do not see the company name nor the owner name produce a result.

When they did the install in late 2021, they did make me add a regulator due to new code compliance requirements.

Does the contractor have the necessary licenses to install gas appliances?

They would need a gas contractor’s license and a Residential Appliance Installer License.

https://www.txpsc.org/advocacy/regulatory/

https://vo.licensing.hpc.texas.gov/datamart/selSearchType.do

I was charged $850 for an actuator and the gasket - parts and labor.
That seems excessive.
I just looked and the warranty confirmation from Hayward says 3years parts and 3 years labor on the heater.
I would be disappointed in the company for not handling this properly for you.

I would push for full warranty coverage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.