Hayward H400FD Water intake crack/leak Repair

carlb

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2013
I have a slow leak on the intake/input side of the water manifold. Loss of water not really an issue except, it's a salt water pool and over time the salt will kill the Bamboo privacy hedge behind the pool equipment area. Had a Pool repair guy out today and the price of the replacement is, ah, a bit high, including labor. So, has anyone tried a repair of this area? Something lick JB Weld or ???

Post pictures of where it is leaking.

Is the manifold cracked or is it leaking from the union?

The water manifold can be replaced with some wrenching.

Post pictures of where it is leaking.

Is the manifold cracked or is it leaking from the union?

The water manifold can be replaced with some wrenching.
a small 1/2" long verticle "line" on the left side of the intake side. The repair took the rubber out, cleaned the interior "race", lubed and replaced the pipe connection. Wiped down the intake pipe and connection and the side wall leak was obvious. Not a seal leak. Is it possible to purchase just the plastic (? don't know the material) manifold? The part replacement I see on line are whole manifold Kits. How to get the clearance to replace that part? Disconnect and move the heater itself? Maybe I'm over thinking this.... working on pix.

Part #FDXLFHA1930 Front Head Assembly.​

Last edited:
You have unions that should allow you to remove the part fairly easily.

There are also unions at the cell and the filter that should allow the plumbing to be removed for service.

Thanks guys. sanded the spot and put some JB Water Weld on the seam. Had a secondary issue with the Heater showing a 5F error. Repair guy replaced two wires. Heater works. now. Ordered the manifold part as a back-up if the JB weld doesn't hold. Doesn't look like a big job. I don't know how mice get into the heater blower side of the heater. Chewing on wires. Urgh. I need a faster Cat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.