Hayward H200 gas heater leaking out the drain plug after opening pool

al27

Sep 11, 2017
TN
First time opening our pool today. We replaced the plugs to the pump, sand filter, and gas heater, turned the pump on and everything appeared to be fine until we noticed that water was dripping out the plug that we replaced in the heater. We took the plug out, wrapped some teflon tape around it, and put it back in but it is still dripping at a steady rate. This heater hasn't worked in years but never found out what was wrong with it because we never used it. We did not turn the gas valves on (as advised by ajw22 on here) since we don't know what is wrong with the heater and don't intend on using it. I called a pool pro about it and he recommended a couple of wraps of teflon tape and hand tightening it, which we had already tried. He says he can come over on Tuesday to install a bypass to the heater, if we aren't able to get the leak to stop before then.

I'd really like to start the SLAM before Tuesday when my pool guy can come over here to install the bypass since the water is extremely green and smelly. I'm worried about running the pump overnight with the heater leaking like this. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to get this plug to stop dripping? Does anyone know if we could be missing an o-ring or rubber gasket or something? Is there something else we should have done when de-winterizing this heater that could be causing it to leak out the drain plug? This is the first time we have opened up the pool ourselves so any suggestions would be appreciated.

First time opening our pool today. We replaced the plugs to the pump, sand filter, and gas heater, turned the pump on and everything appeared to be fine until we noticed that water was dripping out the plug that we replaced in the heater. We took the plug out, wrapped some teflon tape around it, and put it back in but it is still dripping at a steady rate. This heater hasn't worked in years but never found out what was wrong with it because we never used it. We did not turn the gas valves on (as advised by ajw22 on here) since we don't know what is wrong with the heater and don't intend on using it. I called a pool pro about it and he recommended a couple of wraps of teflon tape and hand tightening it, which we had already tried. He says he can come over on Tuesday to install a bypass to the heater, if we aren't able to get the leak to stop before then.

I'd really like to start the SLAM before Tuesday when my pool guy can come over here to install the bypass since the water is extremely green and smelly. I'm worried about running the pump overnight with the heater leaking like this. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to get this plug to stop dripping? Does anyone know if we could be missing an o-ring or rubber gasket or something? Is there something else we should have done when de-winterizing this heater that could be causing it to leak out the drain plug? This is the first time we have opened up the pool ourselves so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.