Hayward H150FDN Heater Error Code 56 or Sb and Resetting Itself

a2d2

May 7, 2017
Eastlake Ohio
I am having problems with my Hayward H150FDN heater on my above ground pool. I am going to give you a lot of background as I have had several issues that could be relevant so sorry in advance for the long post.

Last year my keypad stopped working. The heater worked so I ordered a new bezel and keypad assembly but didn’t replace because it was the end of the season and the heater was still heating. Then this year when I had the pool opened in May, I had them replace the part. It worked but at first wasn’t displaying the full temperature. If it was 62 degrees, it just showed the 2. The technician thought either the new bezel and keypad assembly was bad, or it needed a new display board. I suggested he put the old bezel and keypad back on so that we could see if it was doing the same thing. It was, so that made me think that the display board was the issue. I ordered the part from Amazon. When it came and I went to install the numbers all appeared to be working so I decided to keep the part, but not install at that time. I was nervous about doing this myself and going under the theory if it is not broke don’t fix it. There were a few times in May that the only number that showed was the last digit, but all the numbers have been showing and everything has been working great since the end of May.

Yesterday, we had a lot of rain and a bad storm. Before it rained, I turned off the heater. I did leave the pump going as I didn’t know a storm was coming, I thought we were just getting rain. We did have the power go out for a split second. The pump seems to be working fine. I turned on the heater and everything seemed normal. Since I was still a little concerned on the equipment due to the storm, I went and looked at it all after running for a few minutes and the heater service light was on and I thought it had a code of 56. I turned the heater off and then researched what this could be and now I think it really is Sb (stuck button). After leaving the heater off for 10 minutes or more I tried again. It starts up normal, warm water was coming into the pool and it seems like it was ok. I came back a couple minutes later and see 56 again but then it changes to 65 flashing. I think this means that it has reset itself. Because at this point the heater is not heating and the service light is not on, but the temp is set to 65 so the heater doesn’t need to run because the pool is currently 82 degrees. I had the temp set to 86 prior to it resetting. I don’t feel that the buttons are stuck as I can change the mode and move the temperature up and down.

The reason I have the technician coming is I need help replacing my cartridge filter (even longer story) and I possibly thought I felt a small drip from the heater. If you look at the picture it is where the black and white meet. Sorry, I don’t know what those parts are called. I am not sure if it is a drip, but I thought I saw a water spot on the ground and on occasion that part has felt a little wet. I have been expecting the heater to stop working because of needing to clean the filter or a possible leak, but I thought I would get a low water message.

Any idea what this is and what I should try? The technician that opens my pool is great, but I don’t think he is a heater expert as I had to help him figure out how to connect the bezel and keypad assembly. I am having him come out when he has time (been waiting a week and not sure when he will be here) so I want to do as much research as possible so that if I need parts I can have them on hand when he gets here. Unfortunately for me, he is very busy and lives far away so I tend to end up waiting quite some time for his help.

Also, I am not sure this is ok to ask and if it is not, I apologize. Is there anyone you know of in the Cleveland, OH area that services above ground pools? I like the guy I use, but he is west of Cleveland and I am east of Cleveland and I know he doesn’t have any other customers over here. I have tried calling every place I found but nobody likes servicing above ground pools or they have proven to not be reliable and have displayed seriously questionable levels of knowledge. If it were up to them my current heater would have unnecessarily been replaced three years ago. I found the answer to what was wrong then (integrated control board then) AND they had the hoses hooked up backwards.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 4
How you doing on your heater repair?
The heater has been working on the days I have actually turned it on. No error codes. I still don’t know if it is fixed as nothing was done to repair it. Maybe it just got waterlogged and had to dry out? We did have over 3 inches of rain in a short period.

I had the pool repair guy here about the possible leak in the area shown in the picture from my original post. Of course when he was here he didn’t feel anything so no repair was done. Now today I could see water on the ground in that area and I feel it again. I am now wondering if there is a way to seal it without taking it all apart?

The heater has been working on the days I have actually turned it on. No error codes. I still don’t know if it is fixed as nothing was done to repair it. Maybe it just got waterlogged and had to dry out? We did have over 3 inches of rain in a short period.

I had the pool repair guy here about the possible leak in the area shown in the picture from my original post. Of course when he was here he didn’t feel anything so no repair was done. Now today I could see water on the ground in that area and I feel it again. I am now wondering if there is a way to seal it without taking it all apart?
Well we had a lot of rain again last night and the heater is back to doing the same thing as before. It seemed to work at first and then I noticed it had shut off after running for a while. At the time I looked it was flashing 65 so I am guessing it had reset itself. Each time I turn it on it starts and either flashes and then show 56/Sb (stuck button). If it doesn’t do that it starts showing the temperature flashing and going down until it is flashing 65. I have used the buttons today, so I know at least at some point they haven’t been stuck. I am just waiting for the sun to get over the heater to see if that dries it out and then it works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.