Hayward Flow Sensor Location

Hi all, does anyone know if a check valve can be counted towards the 12" straight run before a Hayward flow sensor. Working on plumbing in a heater and have to reconfigure my plumbing. The only place I can put the flow sensor is before the cell but it would be 8-10 inches after a Jandy check valve. Thanks.

Hi all, does anyone know if a check valve can be counted towards the 12" straight run before a Hayward flow sensor. Working on plumbing in a heater and have to reconfigure my plumbing. The only place I can put the flow sensor is before the cell but it would be 8-10 inches after a Jandy check valve. Thanks.

Technically no... no flow obstructions or bends. You aren't measuring a specific flow, just "Yes flow / No flow" right? If so, 8-10" is close enough.

Yeah just looking for flow/ no flow for the SWG. The only other option is to put it in the vertical pipe coming out of the heater, but if I bypass the heater there would be nothing stopping reverse floe into the filter should something happen. Is a check valve required for a SWG without a heater?

Leave it as you explained it in your first post. The straight pipe is to ensure you have straight laminar flow into the flow switch. As a switch, the 8-10" is sufficient if that is all you have room for.

Is this new switch for the heater or for the SWG?

The switch for that item needs to be inline with it and not outside of its bypass loop. In other words if you have a bypass around the heater, the heater switch has to be between the heater and the valve, it doesn't matter which side of the heater the switch goes on.
You can put the check valve inside the heater loop. If you bypass the heater, you don't need to go through the check valve.

Check valve is not required** if you don't have a heater. The idea is to prevent highly chlorinated water from SWG getting to the heater. ** in reality by the time the water gets back to the heater, the chlorine in the water is diluted enough to not matter much.

You can put the check valve on either side of the heater.

Thanks again! The Hayward heat pump instructions call for a check valve between the source of chlorine and the heater. The flow switch is for the SWG only and I didn't see anything in the instructions for the Hayward Aqua rite pro requiring a check valve. My installer put it in between the SWG and the filter when we had the pool put in. I went ahead and put the check valve on the return line closer to the heat pump. However if I bypass the heater there would be no check valve for the SWG.any issues with that?

There is no need for a check valve after the heater and before the SWG. Check valves are only needed between a trichlor tablet chlorinator and the heater due to the highly acidic water possibly backing up into the heater when the pump is off. For a SWG, it is not generating anything when the pump is off and it is not acidic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.