Hayward filter trouble

Nov 9, 2014
concord,ca
Hello

I have an older ,no longer supported Hayward cartridge filter.De 4800.
It seems that the finer particles created with clarifiers isn't being trapped by the filter.
The filter cartridges are intact with no holes or other visible damage.
What is the purpose of that 1/4 inch tube that runs vertically with the cartridges.
should it terminate in a fitting of some kind or is its just open?
My filter pressure gauge reads 15psi on average.
My wife is getting very upset with me so any help would be appreciated.
Barry

What is the purpose of that 1/4 inch tube that runs vertically with the cartridges.
Sounds like the air relief vent tube. Mine just sticks-up and does not attached to anything to allow air to escape. As for the finer particles you mentioned and using clarifiers, we don't recommend clarifiers because they (and floc) can ruin filter media. Instead, we encourage proper water testing and balancing with a proper test kit. If you post a full set of water test results from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, we might be able to help.

just tested my pool today
I use a lamot colorq test kit and all my reagents are new.
FCL. 6.94
TCL. 729
PH 7.0
ALY. 60
CH. 248
CYA. 40.

I shocked my pool with calcium hypochlorite two days ago. I used 8lbs of drytec at 65% chlorine.
I normally only use 4 lbs but I thought I might not be getting ahead of the algae.
My water remains cloudy and in between times my robot is cleaning the pool there is a mustard colored residue
on the pool floor.

I changed my pump earlier and now run a vs pump which has been running continuously at 2500rpm the last week.

please help me, I'm days away from calling a pool service.
I want to take care of this myself.

Barry

Barry, since you appear to have algae, we would recommend the SLAM Process. So based on your CYA of 40, the SLAM would require an FC of "16". Not sure the MaMotte has that capability, but the FAS-DPD does. You'll also want to find a good source for liquid chlorine or regular bleach versus cal-hypo. The liquid won't have the ill side effects like the powders. But the SLAM Process is your ticket to clear wat.er.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.