Hayward Filter Lateral Assembly Failure

western flyer

Aug 27, 2021
Denver
I bought and installed a Hayward 24" in-ground pool filter one year ago in June. I ordered a Hayward S244T2. The invoice from Doheny's just calls it a 24" sand filter. It worked great last year, and throughout most of this year. Recently, filter sand began flowing into the pool; a lot of sand! After reading other threads about probable causes, I drained the filter and inspected the lateral assembly. The laterals looked fine, but then I noticed that the center of the bottom of the standpipe, where the laterals attach, has failed upward toward the top of the standpipe. The plastic disc-shaped bottom separated from the walls like a knockout. I have emailed both the seller, Doheny's, and manufacturer, Hayward. I haven't received a response yet.
There's a part number on the lateral assembly, S-202-EN. When I look up the replacement part on the Hayward website, it calls for a SX-244-DA. Did it come with the wrong lateral? And why would the bottom of the standpipe fail like that? Is this a known defect? I never saw more than 12 to 15 psi on the filter at any time.

Your going to have to re-thread that hub back on to the sand pipe. If I'm reading your post right. It spun off/fell off ?

Or you are saying the rd black hub cracked down the middle on the bottom. The black round peice at the very bottom of the sand pipe that the laterals screw into? Is the bottom of that thing busted out? If so James posted your part number order one and replace because there is nothing you can do from here. Man I've had Dang near everything pop, crack, or burst inside a sand filter, it just happen sometimes. They are shipped with warning labels telling us to re tighten everything before installing so there is that. Even if you do there are fails.

It's pushed in from the bottom of the standpipe, as if some massive pressure popped it out. I've never seen higher than 10-12 psi on the filter gauge. I still haven't heard from Hayward. Doheny's sent a generic reply to my email today with information on returns, and adding that there is a 20% restocking fee on used equipment. I can't tell if the email came from a real person. I don't plan to return a filter and 300 pounds of sand.

Meanwhile, I found and ordered a Hayward lateral assembly on Amazon that said it fit my filter, SX244DA. I ordered it before I saw James' post showing the correct part number. The lateral arrived and had a smaller diameter, but slightly longer, standpipe. Instead of the standpipe fitting outside the nipple on the valve head, it fit perfectly inside. I went ahead and installed it. $95 later, the filter seems to be working fine with this lateral assembly. Interestingly, the new lateral assembly has the same number on the bottom, S202-EN. Is that the part number for just the lower part of the lateral assembly?

Next, I had to figure out how to get all of that sand out of the bottom of the pool.

I was reluctant to suck all that sand in the pool back through my new pool pump. I replaced my pump this year, but kept the old one. My old pump was beginning to make a humming noise. I suspect a bearing might be going out.
I decided to design a way to use the old pump to vacuum the sand. I screwed the pump to a board, wired a long, grounded appliance cord, and set the pump for 120 volts. Using 2” pvc I plumbed the pump outflow to rise 4 feet, travel a foot laterally, and then discharge down. I connected the vacuum head and hose to the intake and fired it up. I discharged into a large plastic trash can next to the pool, tilted to overflow back into the pool. This worked great! All the sand settled into the trash can and clean water flowed back into the pool.

Reactions: Brian Malone

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You never want to vacuum a lot of sand through a multiport because the sand will get stuck in the multiport and it will damage the multiport as you move it through the various positions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.