Palm Desert, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
My Hayward Filter utilizes a very poorly designed air relief valve (imho). It’s Like this.
Or This. the valve stem is removable and contains 3 gaskets on the stem.
I’m on my third set of gaskets... in 2 months time. Leaks develop and the gaskets are chewed up. What gives? Coming off of Pentair’s excellent ‘wrist twist’ design, and even the brass ones (with simple loosen/tighten design) of an older sand filter, these are just awful. The filter itself is fine, though I find the Pentair models are more refined.
I’ve been trolling for a brass or other alternative plug and play replacement as opposed to the plastic versions and am not getting far on our usual parts haunts. Anyone else frustrated by this design?

I have that same valve on my sand filter. Never needed to replace the o-rings in 19 years -- but i do remove the valve stem yearly and clean/lube the o-rings. I only unscrew it maybe 1 to 1.5 full turns to purge the air. And I try not to over-tighten when closing it - turning it just enough to stop the water flow (with pump on).

I wonder if you have a defective valve assembly - maybe a burr on the inside?

I would think if you find the correct threads to thread into the tank, you could replumb it to add a different valve while keeping the pressure gauge. Maybe a short riser to a tee, with valve on one side and gauge on other.

Are you lubing the orings when you install the assembly?
I’m lubing the stem gaskets. When they’re new they seal well, but a few times of purges and leaks begin and I pull the stem and it’s all chewed gasket.
Perhaps a burr in the threads or elsewhere is chewing up the gaskets.
I just don’t like the design. Seems to me that a brass design with screw on/off should be available.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.