Hayward Ecostar 3400VSP repair or replace

Sep 19, 2016
Phoenix
Well my 4.8yo $1200 pump is non responsive. See "No Comm" at start-up and in diagnostics. Internet is full of this sort of failure on this model requiring an expensive fix: drive replacement at ~$600.

Local pool shop can do the repair or sell me a different brand. 2+ hours on hold with Hayward before they told me they could sell me the expensive part - one year warranty.

I can't believe we should spend several hundred dollars a year on pump "capital". Recommendations?

H,

Well, in my case, if my IntelliFlo went south today, I would buy a whole new pump vs. replacing just the controller.

Not sure if you have automation or not, but if you do, then you are pretty much stuck with getting the same pump, or at least the same brand of pump, so that it can talk to your automation system.

A little too late now, but all variable speed pumps should have a surge protector at the equipment pad if possible. Not sure it would have helped your pump, but who's to say???

Obviously I don't want my pump, or anyone's pump, to go bad in 4.8 years, but even if it did, I would buy another one. I will never own a single speed pump again...!

Good luck with your decision,

Jim R.

Same thing happened to my ecostar but in 3 years. I called Hayward and even though i was out of warrenty they send me a new drive free!!! Installation is easy. I didn't expect such a great response and in the mean time installed a new pentair variable speed pump, now i have two... My Hayward leaked water at the top cover and got the board wet, even in Phoenix. Hayward tech confirmed the common issues with these, you could see the tell tale signs of water pooling at the electrical connections cavity and it flowed up and over the internal seam, common flaw in their design. And yes, the cover was on properly, clean and tight with good o ring, its a design flaw. Dont buy another Hayward unless your willing to calk up the cover!!! I love my Pentair intellaflow, i believe it is a better pump.
Just in case, i also installed a eaton electrical panel surge protector too, very inexpensive insurance, just in case...

Thanks for the sympathetic replies...here's what happened in the past few hours. Went to my local Mom and Pop pool shop to discuss their recommended drive swap (3rd party, can't remember the name, $400+labor so ~$600). Was ready to pull the trigger when they noticed the one I need (flange shape) is on a long back order - so no deal - I could buy a new Pentair.

Went to original seller (Leslie's) who I've lost confidence in over the years just to discuss. On the weekend they had just handed me their service dept phone #, but today with just me and the local manager in the store he called their service manager and they'll install a new drive for free! I'm .... amazed. Some faith restored...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.