Hayward EC50 Leaking DE into Pool when Pump is First Turned On

mh0520

Jul 15, 2020
Boston MA
I am having an issue with my EC50 above-ground pool filter. It seems to have a leak somewhere but I don't see anything obvious. What is happening is that when I first turn the pump on, the water return will shoot DE back into the pool for about 5-10 seconds, maybe a little longer. I'm guessing that the reason that it stops is that whatever leak is there gets sealed by the DE re-coating the filter internals once the pump is running. I've seen some discussion of this regarding grid style filters but since this model is designed differently, I'm hoping someone has some experience and suggestions as to specifically where I should look for leaks.

I also have a few other questions regarding repairs.

• I have seen that for some Hayward filters you can replace individual filter tubes instead of having to buy an entire assembly which ends up being pretty expensive but I don't see any individual flex tubes listed at my local pool store so I'm trying to understand if that is an option for this filter, should I find that there is a busted tube.
  • I know that there is a gasket that could be the culprit but I'm not 100% certain how to get at it to check it. I'm assuming that I will need to disassemble the lid, is that correct? Is the gasket visible just by taking the lid off the filter?
  • Are there any other gaskets or parts of the filter system that I should look at? I seen multiport valves mentioned a lot but I don't think my filter has one.
Thanks!

Just wanted to add that the model number for the filter is EC50AC. It does seem like I can order individual flex tubes or sets of 10 if I need to but I'm wondering if anyone has actually done so with this model.

The top of the filter has a rubber ring that runs around it. This is supposed to be lubed with the same kind of pool grease you use on o-rings, etc. Like Hayward Jack's Formula 327 multi-lube.

I would backwash, disassemble, completely clean, and hosing off all the fingers, then carefully inspect everything.

If you don't find anything wrong, reassemble and grease that top ring.

If it still "leaks" after that, it's dead algae, not DE.

Thanks for the response! I'm actually wondering now if it is dead algae like you said. I think I've been battling some algae. At first, I assumed it was pollen because my chlorine levels and pH were okay and pollen was really bad at the time but I've cleaned it up a couple times and cleaned out my filter a couple times as well and I'm still seeing it come back. I shocked it the other day and started up with some algaecide to see if maintenance dosing will cut back; it's only my second summer with the pool and my first with a solar cover so I'm still learning.

In either case, is algae able to get through the filter if the filter gets too dirty? I'm assuming it is finer than the earth and that lets it return back to the pool. I'm planning on giving the pool a good cleaning this weekend, disassembling the filter, inspecting and cleaning everything, and then putting it back together.

When I start the pump in the morning, I have seen the water return spout shoot some green back into the pool. It stops after about 5-10 seconds but it does do it. I'm assuming that if there's no leak, I wouldn't be seeing anything coming out of the filter, right? You're talking about algae getting stirred up elsewhere in the pool, right?

In either case, is algae able to get through the filter if the filter gets too dirty?
It certainly can on a sand filter and I imagine it can on cartridge or DE. ..........Here's what happens.

For one reason or another (usually dead algae), you hopelessly clog the filter yet continue to vacuum, run the pump and force even more debris into an already overwhelmed filter.

The pressure increases to the point (in a sand filter) where the multi-port is actually forced open a bit thereby letting the clogged debris to seek the path of least resistance which is back into the pool. I am sure a cartridge or DE would malfunction in a similar manner.

Solution? Clean your filter and don't let it get to that point.

Thanks for all the responses. I was able to get the algae situation under control by shocking and then putting some algaecide in. Did some cleaning and backwashed the filter a little and it seems to have cleared up. I think it must have been the algae overpowering the filter and also settling in the filter hoses and whatnot. Does that make sense?

I think I can manage from here. I just need to make sure to keep up with maintenance shock and algaecide. I'll completely clean out the filter again soon as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shock and Algaecide are not terms that are typically included in the Trouble Free Pool recommendations for proper pool maintenance.

I was in a similar place to you all last year and again at the beginning of this year until I found TFP. My experience was that I was just keeping an algae bloom in check, but that it was continuously clogging my Perflex EC-50 filter. It took more than shock and algaecide to solve the problem.

There is a lot of great information in the Pool School section of this website, augmented by hundreds or thousands of satisfied TFP practitioners who are happy to help. However, most of what you will find here is incompatible or at odds with traditional pool store based advice.

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.