Hayward EC40A, how to know if fingers need to be replaced?

Aug 10, 2016
Boston, MA
Hi All,

I am trying to reuse my fathers old EC40A filter, which is probably 5-8 years old ( i think). I am wondering how I would know if the filter fingers are still in good shape? The filter has been sitting for a few years now. We recently put up our new pool and were hoping to reuse this one. Given the current pool supply shortages, I am worried that I might be out of luck with a filter if this filter is no good.

Thanks!

PXL_20210421_225221407.jpgPXL_20210421_224418920.jpg

I have same filter. If the fingers need replacing, you'll begin getting a lot of the DE into the pool (due to tear in finger material). Usually, you'll see DE (due to its small particle size) long before you get dirt through the filter. Essentially, the material acts as a support for the filter media (DE).
I clean these using a mix of Dawn dish soap & Muriatic Acid at the beginning of each season. The dish soap helps break-up things like oils, grease and the acid helps clean out the support. Rinse thoroughly with clean water afterwards.
Your filter pressure will tell you a lot. If it begins running a lot lower than it typically would (bypassing equals less restriction= lower pressure) you may be starting to develop a tear or the gasket is failing and allowing bypassing.

I've had 2 of these filters and never had to replace the fingers. Don't spray high pressure water directly at them or try to scrape things off the fingers and they should last a long time.
Best of luck with your build.
Respectfully,

Reactions: mknauss
I have same filter. If the fingers need replacing, you'll begin getting a lot of the DE into the pool (due to tear in finger material). Usually, you'll see DE (due to its small particle size) long before you get dirt through the filter. Essentially, the material acts as a support for the filter media (DE).
I clean these using a mix of Dawn dish soap & Muriatic Acid at the beginning of each season. The dish soap helps break-up things like oils, grease and the acid helps clean out the support. Rinse thoroughly with clean water afterwards.
Your filter pressure will tell you a lot. If it begins running a lot lower than it typically would (bypassing equals less restriction= lower pressure) you may be starting to develop a tear or the gasket is failing and allowing bypassing.

I've had 2 of these filters and never had to replace the fingers. Don't spray high pressure water directly at them or try to scrape things off the fingers and they should last a long time.
Best of luck with your build.
Respectfully,
Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.