Hayward DE filter leaking at clamp

Mar 24, 2012
Wanted to share as I just spent a few days sorting this out but did manage to fix it in the end. I opened my pool and loaded the filter with DE, and everything was fine. Pine pollen dumped into the pool and filter pressure rose and suddenly I had a major leak at the clamp.

I took it apart, cleaned the grids, lubed the o-ring, put it back together, etc. and it still leaked. Searched this forum and more lube seemed to be the answer. Nope. Ordered a new o-ring, lubed it. Nope.

Now I take a big step back and think - the clamp has two parts, which can be on the left or right side of the filter body and facing up or down, so multiple orientations, and possibly over the years, the resin filter body had developed some sort of sympathetic relationship with small irregularities in the clamp and so if not placed in the right "order" it will leak.

So I switched the pieces around, etc. and managed to find the correct configuration and now have no leaks. I used a metal sharpie and marked the clamp parts "Front L" and "Front R" to make it easy to assemble "correctly" next time.

I wanted to share as this almost drove me to wits end and I have seen several inconclusive threads about these leaking issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.